Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just barked 4th with 3.31s which I did not think was possible. Granted my 19s are all seasons which made that possible I'm sure but I figure the 3.73 ones might be barking 5th now that they are broken in. 5,000 miles on mine. Just wondering.

·
Registered
677 Posts
no--I only have 2600 miles on my GT--I had 331 and changed them to 373-- I can chirp the 1st 4, but never 5th gear (that I know of)...going to fast by then--lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Being that I finish the 1/4 before 4th hits the limiter at the track...it would be difficult to get a 120mph chirp ;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Not quite making enough power to stress my traction at 120mph. Granted, how often have I made a hard shift into 5th? Not many.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Nope, just a little chirp into 4th. I'm in Denver though, so maybe at sea level I could bark into 4th but up here, I get just a little squeak :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
I can bark 4th pretty regularly, but I trap in 4th at the strip, and I do not have anywhere near the cojones to get going that fast on public roads to find out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I cant even chirp 3rd anymore, used to be able get 4th to chirp but since i got these khumo's it barley chrips 2nd if its above 25c:smilie

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Odd....i had a 2 people in the car, the cruise control fully engaged..and did not even dump the clutch really.... ..and "chirp"..

Maybe i have one of the 430hp versions...lolol

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Seriously? If you slam it into 5th while doing 280 mph they will chirp. That's about that best chance you'll see at "chirping" in 5th, unless you drive directly on the rotors. You really shouldn't be "chirping" anyways, it means you are not going as fast as you could be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes sir, 5th chirps exist!! I can get 2nd 3rd and 4th every time I want. The opportunity to chirp 5th is rare since I don't often go 115+ mph, but when I do, I have no problem getting a chirp on the 5th gear shift. I never figured that there would be a car that can bark 5th stock and let alone one that I would own. I do have the 3.73 rear end. I doubt it would be possible with the 3.55s or 3.31s.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yes sir, 5th chirps exist!! I can get 2nd 3rd and 4th every time I want. The opportunity to chirp 5th is rare since I don't often go 115+ mph, but when I do, I have no problem getting a chirp on the 5th gear shift. I never figured that there would be a car that can bark 5th stock and let alone one that I would own. I do have the 3.73 rear end. I doubt it would be possible with the 3.55s or 3.31s.
+1 yes me too

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ive got 3.31's and the best I can get is the occasional 4th. Although ive never tried a 5th gear scratch. I doubt I could do it.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Really? Barking 5th at what 120 MPH? LOL unless your on the worst roads known to man kind that's not really feasible in my mind. i've driven plenty my friends full exhaust/intake/tune 5.0 and it easily chirp 1-2 and 2-3 and even 3-4 occasionally but never 4-5. how are you gonna say that you can get traction to break lose at 120 mph

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Really? Barking 5th at what 120 MPH? LOL unless your on the worst roads known to man kind that's not really feasible in my mind. i've driven plenty my friends full exhaust/intake/tune 5.0 and it easily chirp 1-2 and 2-3 and even 3-4 occasionally but never 4-5. how are you gonna say that you can get traction to break lose at 120 mph
With 3.73 rear end you're shifting 4-5 at 108-113 depending on how early or late you shift.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
With 3.73 rear end you're shifting 4-5 at 108-113 depending on how early or late you shift.
With 3.73 gears, and the stock redline of 6850 rpm. With a raised redline your shifting around 120 mph if you redline it @7400 RPM in 4th.

Even so, breaking traction over 100 mph is not feasible. Unless you have over 600 rwhp. Which a stock 5.0 or a bolt on 5.0 doesn't have.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually I was doin about 85 when it happened. I was amazed at the time, now I'm guessing I had driven through Some grease or oil on the freeway and had ultra slick tires at that moment (it never happened again).

Even more amazing is how any of my old threads keep coming back up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I've done it, it was on those blacktop type roads and it was just a wee little bark of the tires. Definitely didn't break loose traction-wise. The chirp is possible in 5th simply because of the tune I have, the deletion of the clutch assist spring, the short 5th gear ratio, and the 3.73's out back. Take any one of those variables away and it wouldn't get rubber in 5th.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts