Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Again, I'm fairly new to driving stick. I have been doing it for a few weeks now and I'm fairly comfortable in my regular driving.

I want to try PUNCHING IT I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers.
I understand the basics of driving, but I don't know how to shift when "racing" or trying to get best performance out of my car.

Right when I hit the red line, I understand clutch in quick, change to next gear, clutch out as you hit the gas. My question is....
When driving normally, I let the clutch out as follows...
clutch in, change gears, clutch 3/4 of the way out (let it catch) and then all the way out. All of which happens in about 3-4 seconds.

WHen racing, i've seen all these videos of guys who slam the clutch down to the floor, change gears and then release the clutch as FAST as possible (let it pop up) while they hit the gas.
Is that okay for the car/clutch? Is the clutch able to catch properly when you release it so quickly?

What is the proper changing method when trying to race??? Do you let the clutch out quickly in the two stages mentioned above? Or, is it okay to just completely dump the clutch as you accelerate???

Thoughts...?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hey,

Again, I'm fairly new to driving stick. I have been doing it for a few weeks now and I'm fairly comfortable in my regular driving.

I want to try PUNCHING IT I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers.
I understand the basics of driving, but I don't know how to shift when "racing" or trying to get best performance out of my car.

Right when I hit the red line, I understand clutch in quick, change to next gear, clutch out as you hit the gas. My question is....
When driving normally, I let the clutch out as follows...
clutch in, change gears, clutch 3/4 of the way out (let it catch) and then all the way out. All of which happens in about 3-4 seconds.

WHen racing, i've seen all these videos of guys who slam the clutch down to the floor, change gears and then release the clutch as FAST as possible (let it pop up) while they hit the gas.
Is that okay for the car/clutch? Is the clutch able to catch properly when you release it so quickly?

What is the proper changing method when trying to race??? Do you let the clutch out quickly in the two stages mentioned above? Or, is it okay to just completely dump the clutch as you accelerate???

Thoughts...?

Absolutely.

The whole point of race shifting, is to complete the shift as fast as possible. Let off gas (unless powershifting), push the clutch in, slam it into the next gear (not too hard, though), dump clutch (you don't dump it, per say, you engage it really fast. That 3/4 of the way stuff wont be there under WOT), slam gas. The more you do it, the better you become at it.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Absolutely.

The whole point of race shifting, is to complete the shift as fast as possible. Let off gas (unless powershifting), push the clutch in, slam it into the next gear (not too hard, though), dump clutch (you don't dump it, per say, you engage it really fast. That 3/4 of the way stuff wont be there under WOT), slam gas. The more you do it, the better you become at it.
Agreed....... you wanna make that shift transaction as fast as possible making sure it goes into gear. 1-2 and 3-4 are the easiest. Takes expirence getting good speed shifts from 2-3. Once you get these expirences under your belt then you can try some powershifting which means your foot does not come off the floor in between shifts.

When racing okay to dump clutch when on street let it slip a little to have smoother shifts which is the way you are doing now. Of course slipping the clutch too much on the street is not good either.

Just keep practicing you'll get it.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I kick the clutch pedal and slap the shifter like it owes me money. :shigrin

But I seriously, on launch, I pick an RPM and hold it there. For me it's around 5000. (I don't suggest that high on a stock car though) When the light goes green, I slip the clutch just enough to maintain that RPM until it's all the way out. For gear changes, the right foot never comes off the gas. The clutch gets pushed in about 1" and I slam the gear as fast as humanly possible.

Watch my video a couple threads down, and you car hear that my rpm's don't fall during the shift.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

But I seriously, on launch, I pick an RPM and hold it there. For me it's around 5000. (I don't suggest that high on a stock car though) When the light goes green, I slip the clutch just enough to maintain that RPM until it's all the way out. For gear changes, the right foot never comes off the gas. The clutch gets pushed in about 1" and I slam the gear as fast as humanly possible.

Watch my video a couple threads down, and you car hear that my rpm's don't fall during the shift.
Your transmission and clutch wont last long... Not fully disengaging the clutch is terrible for the syncros.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this all bad for the clutch?
If I'm quickly releasing the clutch, am I causing it damage by not letting it 'catch'?? Or, bc the engine speed is so high, its able to catch quickly on its own??

Basically am I causing excess wear??? Or, is it nothing more than regular wear??
so

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Your transmission and clutch wont last long... Not fully disengaging the clutch is terrible for the syncros.
My transmission has 108k miles on it and over 80 dragstrip passes launching at over 5000rpms. I replaced the original clutch at 103k miles.

That same transmission was making dragstrip passes in the manner I described before you even had a learner's permit, and it's still going strong today. It could fail right now, and I'd never say it failed prematurely.

You Fail, Try Again..........

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Is this all bad for the clutch?
If I'm quickly releasing the clutch, am I causing it damage by not letting it 'catch'?? Or, bc the engine speed is so high, its able to catch quickly on its own??

Basically am I causing excess wear??? Or, is it nothing more than regular wear??
so
If you're worried about wear, don't race the car....... period.

·
Registered
670 Posts

^this pretty much sums it up. on factory wheels/tires i wasn't launching my v6 above 2700 rpm because i'd just blow the tires off but from what i understand the 5.0s best launch good around 2.5k to 3k no problem. for gear changes tho if u do decide to slightly let off the when ur engaging the clutch the shifter should be moving same time and both done same time, :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
That same transmission was making dragstrip passes in the manner I described before you even had a learner's permit, and it's still going strong today. It could fail right now, and I'd never say it failed prematurely.

:heha::heha::heha:Hahahaha!!!!!!!:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Bullitt's right.

Basically I think the original poster is wondering about regular shifting, speed shifting, and power shifting.

With speed shifting, you lift off the throttle between gears but move the shifter as quickly as possible.

With power shifting, you NEVER LIFT, just kick the clutch and slam the shifter in gear.

A little known fact that has proven itself in my cars (and Bullitt was trying to explain) is that powershifts don't really seem to hurt the drivetrain. It's when you MISS a gear that things get hurt. (overrev the engine, grind gears, etc)

I've been 10.17 @ 132 on a world class T5. That's crazy talk.

Anyway, my general rule of thumb is that I don't powershift unless I'm racing someone.

Hey, here's a video of my boss hammering some powershifts in a 2011 Mustang. The video explains it far better than words can.

YouTube - ‪Lethal Performance GoPro HD Pedal Cam: Featuring UPR's Jeremy Martorella‬‏

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Having the UPR Firewall Adjuster and triple hook quadrant, along with the Jeg's clutch pedal height adjuster makes it soooooo easy to adjust the clutch to where you can really actuate it quickly.

Don't the 2012's have hydraulic clutches though? That kind of makes it hard to get any real adjustment in it, I would think. Life is easy with a cable.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Bullitt's right.

Basically I think the original poster is wondering about regular shifting, speed shifting, and power shifting.

With speed shifting, you lift off the throttle between gears but move the shifter as quickly as possible.

With power shifting, you NEVER LIFT, just kick the clutch and slam the shifter in gear.

A little known fact that has proven itself in my cars (and Bullitt was trying to explain) is that powershifts don't really seem to hurt the drivetrain. It's when you MISS a gear that things get hurt. (overrev the engine, grind gears, etc)

Anyway, my general rule of thumb is that I don't powershift unless I'm racing someone.

Hey, here's a video of my boss hammering some powershifts in a 2011 Mustang. The video explains it far better than words can.

YouTube - ‪Lethal Performance GoPro HD Pedal Cam: Featuring UPR's Jeremy Martorella‬‏
Love the video.....doesn't get any more clear than that on how to powershift.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My transmission has 108k miles on it and over 80 dragstrip passes launching at over 5000rpms. I replaced the original clutch at 103k miles.

Yeah, because you know how old I am...

If you've been getting lucky this long, good for you. Don't be a *****.

I, and many people I know would never drive like that. If you can't move your leg fast enough to fully disengage the clutch between shifts then that's your problem. The most common understanding is that you just don't send power to the transmission while you shift, it causes excess wear on the syncros. All I did was warn you, and you reply acting like a d***. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
7,401 Posts

I, and many people I know would never drive like that. If you can't move your leg fast enough to fully disengage the clutch between shifts then that's your problem. The most common understanding is that you just don't send power to the transmission while you shift, it causes excess wear on the syncros. All I did was warn you, and you reply acting like a d***. :bigthumbsup
Your profile says you're 18.

I'm not lucky, I'm good.

How many experienced 20+ year drag racers have backed up what I've said in this thread? I'm not being a ****, but when you're wrong, you're wrong.

What someone told you will never trump the many years of actual drag racing experience in this thread. This ain't my first rodeo, nor is it Reese's or Sharads.

Why would I need you to warn me? I've been doing this since you were a seed in your father's testicles.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

I believe you need to stop right here!!!! Making yourself look really bad right now.:hihi::hihi::hihi: As stated in a couple post's now......It's when your timing is not correct and you miss the gear change... the syncro of the actual clutch and gear change is not together.

I can drive a manual switching through all gears without ever using the clutch and I know I'm not the only one and without ever grinding a single gear. This is after take off of course. How.....timing and rpm is everything!

EDIT: can't go from 4th to overdrive without the clutch!:hihi:

So it seems that you wanna start arguing when you don't know what YOU are talking about!

Good day sir/ kid!:wavey

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Why would I need you to warn me? I've been doing this since you were a seed in your father's testicles.
I nearly spit Coke Zero all over the keyboard... so, thanks for that. :heha:

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Bullitt's right.

Little Nicky it seems like you need to watch that video again and do some more research. My busa never complained that I never used the clutch either when I raced.

And Bullitt that was some funny shizzzzz.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, if I CORRECTLY disengage and engage the clutch - while either power shifting OR speed shifting.... am I causes EXCESS wear to the clutch???

When driving normally (not racing) you let the clutch up a bit slower - allowing it to 'catch'. When power or speed shifting you are just letting it POP up. Is that causing excessive wear on the clutch??? OR, bc your engine is already turning at such a fast speed the clutch is able to grab very quickly therefore not causing excessive wear???

PS: "If you're worried about wear, don't race the car....... period" doesn't answer my question.
I'm looking to learn/understand - not to be told "just don't do it"

:)

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Any time you're driving the car in a matter it wasn't designed for ie. drag racing and launching at high rpms and shifting fast, you're going to see some amount of advanced wear and tear on components.

It's inevitable that you'll wear something out or break something if you race long enough, no matter how careful you are, or how bulletproof you think your setup is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts