Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Again, I'm fairly new to driving stick. I have been doing it for a few weeks now and I'm fairly comfortable in my regular driving.

I want to try PUNCHING IT I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers.
I understand the basics of driving, but I don't know how to shift when "racing" or trying to get best performance out of my car.

Right when I hit the red line, I understand clutch in quick, change to next gear, clutch out as you hit the gas. My question is....
When driving normally, I let the clutch out as follows...
clutch in, change gears, clutch 3/4 of the way out (let it catch) and then all the way out. All of which happens in about 3-4 seconds.

WHen racing, i've seen all these videos of guys who slam the clutch down to the floor, change gears and then release the clutch as FAST as possible (let it pop up) while they hit the gas.
Is that okay for the car/clutch? Is the clutch able to catch properly when you release it so quickly?

What is the proper changing method when trying to race??? Do you let the clutch out quickly in the two stages mentioned above? Or, is it okay to just completely dump the clutch as you accelerate???

Thoughts...?

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you're already rolling, it's easier for the clutch to go in because the wheels are already spinning with the motor. So yes, you can let the clutch go pretty quickly. It's starting off the line that's hard in a manual in my opinion.

·
Registered
506 Posts
1. you can power shift it if your really racing along (keep you foot in the gas the whole time and pretty much kick the clutch and grab the next gear)

2. double clutch (going from 3 to 4 for example you clutch in, 3rd to neutral, clutch out, clutch in, neutral to 4th, clutch out.

If your are too quick releasing the clutch you may experience wheel spin or tire chirps

slowing down for a corner PLEASE rev match i have ridden with to many people who don't blip the throttle when down shifting and it its good for your car or "racing"

I would heel toe but i cannot do it with my size 13 flippers, if i drive with my steel toes on no matter what i will be touching two pedals at once.

cruze around youtube and watch some different techniques and some failures

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
What year car do you have?

Powershifting requires you to keep your foot down on the gas at all times, and quick clutch-shift motions. When I'm at the track, the only time I take my foot off the gas pedal is at the end of the track.....

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Grab the shifter and apply presure to the gear you are going to. For example. You if are in second gear apply presure to the shifter towards third gear (push) while you are at wide open throttle and before you hit redline just tap the clutch really fast while you are still 100% throttle and the gear will go in very fast. Powershifting ftw. Now this is only for racing because it will put alot of stress on transmission.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
506 Posts
just keep driving it and you will get better and faster because 3-4 seconds per shift is pretty lengthy, you should also get a better feel for rev matching your down shifts. get smooth then get fast

1 - 7 of 7 Posts