Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys few quick questions....

First off I finally have the pony how i always wanted it with the help of reading through these forums, thanks guys.:bigthumbsup
I was looking into investing into some shelby racing stripes for the V6 from front to rear bumper. I have a shop not to far away that will install it with lasers for 500$ in either silver or white ( i havent chose yet). This seems like alot of money when I just replaced my cracked radiator for the same price from a Ford dealership. Ive seen the kit from AM for about a hundred but idk about doing it myself...I've also read that over time there are permanent water spots and slightly warped lines. Any help with what I should go with and if any of you regretted putting them on for the money and time you spent.
Secondly I have had the JLT CAI for about two months now and noticing the filter is building some darkness to it. Whats the best option to get it cleaned or do I have to purchase a whole new filter? Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
3,827 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Let me talk to your question obout installing those stripes yourself. I added a GT500 spoiler to my V6. I bought my car with the Shelby stripes. I ordered some stripes from a vendor on Ebat that matched what I had. I tried to install it myself, and let me tell you. It's not as easy as you might think. Keeping things straight and removing wrinkles is a difficult task. Do yourself a favor, and pay someone to do it professionally. Now, that being said, I think $400 labor sounds hight. What you should do is call a body shop and see if they use amobile stripe installer. I did that and he was willing to do the work for a more affordable price.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I agree. Stripe install sucks. ALot of people on here will tell you it easy, its wasnt for me. I settled with a single wide super stripe as that is way easier then the duel racing stripes.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Should consider red stripes BTW, I think it looks sick on a black mustang :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats funny you mentioned red because that was my first choice but for some reason the stripe installer said red is the only color that is 150$ extra and 650$ for stripes is outta line lol
Update: I bought the K&N Recharge from AM so thanks Rockin Blues!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Wow that filter is dirty after only two months? How many miles during that time?

$500 is too high IMO. A shop near me is willing to install any stripes I bring in for $250. I thought that was high, maybe it's not.

My stripes are 5 years old. There are no water spots that I've seen. There are some imperfections when you look up real close. Also, they are begining to peel in two places on the trunk. Also not noticable unless you look very closely.

But when I use some Quick Wax on them, they still shine and look great. I think the 05-09 Mustang is the nicest looking striped car I've seen

·
Registered
962 Posts
A guy here in ID. Had white stripes put on his Red 06,cost $500.00 Seems reasonable to avoid all the hassle plus he went through the carwash and one stripe peeled a bit. The guy fixed it for free. Kind of a warranty thing,might not be available at all places.
My eyesight is not as good as it used to be so when I get mine someone else will put them on...so they look straight. lol

As for your filter,when you clean it follow the directions closely. DO NOT OVERSPRAY the filter element. A light coating will do,very light. You might want to get some MAF sensor spray cleaner while you are at it. The filter being that dirty might also mean the MAF is dirty also. The process only takes a few minutes and is always worth it to keep it clean.

if you spray too much stuff on the air cleaner the MAF will get a layer of it to...not good

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
+1 on the light coat of oil and let it dry really well and you will have no problems :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips on the filter oil guys! :winks
what household items can clean the MAF sensor and how do i do it without damaging the part itself?
After a long time thinking and talking to a few friends Ive decided the stripes install would cost as much as a true dual conversion price which would be better worth the money in my opinion....I really want to get a second AT Flowmaster and the correct piping. Whats the best way to go by this if I dont want to purchase a whole conversion kit.. go to a local muffler shop and ask for the pipes for a 08 Mustang? Thanks in advance :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts