Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go with some big and little Welds but Im not sure of the sizing I want. I figure there arent to many different back spacing sizes for the fronts like some 15x3.5-4. But I don't know what I really want to go with out back. I was thinking 15x8 but the e.t. streets will be wider than that obviously. I dont want them to stick outside the fenders but I want them to give that "filling the wheel well" look. But if I can fit some 15x10s in there Id like to do that so I can get some wider meats back there.

Although I read about a test they did. They said that if you had an automatic car that you would be fine going with drag radials but if you have a manual then actual e.t. streets would be better. Although I've also seen that manual cars that can actually get the tires spinning slightly off the line is better than just straight up hooking where the hooking is better in a auto car.

But also, would going with tires on 17s be not as good as 15s so you can get more sidewall flex. What I was told was to just get some 275x50x15s even though I would rather have wider but with those I can stick with 15x8. But what backspacing would be best to get the look I want. I dont want it to be sucked way up in there but I dont want them to be hanging out of the fenders all ******* 3rd gen camaro look either. So what back spacing would be best? I think they have like 3.5-5or 5.5.

·
Banned
918 Posts
15x3.5 with a 165r15 and a 7/16 spacer up front
15x10 w/ 6.5" backspacing and a tire of choice.

There are plenty of manuals with drag radials in the 10's with no traction issues.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well no one recomends running bias-ply fronts with radial backs. I was planning on running them on he weekends and maybe if I get to lazy, though out the week too in the summer. But I know there are people doing it but I never bothered to look and see what they are running. I would go with, say the BFG drag radial but the only size that has the right height with it also is the 275/50/15. But I can get e.t. streets at 26x11.5x15 and they will be fine to run with say, the MT sportsman front runners. But I would like a narrow front tire and I dunno if 165 would be narrow enough. Those are 6.5 inches wide. I was thinking of more like 4.5-5 or so.

Also, what about running that narrow of a tire and rim on the street with that spacer? Is there danger there? And what type of spacer are you taking about? One that bolts down to the rotor then then the wheel bolts to the spacer or just the spacer goes on in between the rotor and the wheel?

Also the only drag radial that will be the right size is the 275/50/15. Any other sizes would be to tall. So the 15x8 would prolly be wide enough because a 15x10 would be to wide for that tire. BFG recomends the widest tire be a 9.5 or something.

·
Banned
918 Posts
87_5point0 said:
Well no one recomends running bias-ply fronts with radial backs. I was planning on running them on he weekends and maybe if I get to lazy, though out the week too in the summer. But I know there are people doing it but I never bothered to look and see what they are running. I would go with, say the BFG drag radial but the only size that has the right height with it also is the 275/50/15. But I can get e.t. streets at 26x11.5x15 and they will be fine to run with say, the MT sportsman front runners. But I would like a narrow front tire and I dunno if 165 would be narrow enough. Those are 6.5 inches wide. I was thinking of more like 4.5-5 or so.
You can go to pep boys and ask for a radial tire in that size;) 165 is just about as narrow as you can get for the car. Remember if you plan on driving on the street, your handling will be greatly affected!

Also, what about running that narrow of a tire and rim on the street with that spacer? Is there danger there? And what type of spacer are you taking about? One that bolts down to the rotor then then the wheel bolts to the spacer or just the spacer goes on in between the rotor and the wheel?
Nope. My buddy did it for 15k before he sold the car. The spacer is a 7/16 inch spacer that you can find from places like www.stangsuspension.com or summit. You can use a spacer that either slides over the rotor or one that bolts to your studs and has built in studs on the spacer(safer)

Also the only drag radial that will be the right size is the 275/50/15. Any other sizes would be to tall. So the 15x8 would prolly be wide enough because a 15x10 would be to wide for that tire. BFG recomends the widest tire be a 9.5 or something.
I have a BFG 275/50R15 on a Weld 15x10 w/ 6.5" backspacing which will fit a 2002 GT. My buddy ran those same wheels and tires.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
blackfang said:
You can go to pep boys and ask for a radial tire in that size;) 165 is just about as narrow as you can get for the car. Remember if you plan on driving on the street, your handling will be greatly affected!

Nope. My buddy did it for 15k before he sold the car. The spacer is a 7/16 inch spacer that you can find from places like www.stangsuspension.com or summit. You can use a spacer that either slides over the rotor or one that bolts to your studs and has built in studs on the spacer(safer)

I have a BFG 275/50R15 on a Weld 15x10 w/ 6.5" backspacing which will fit a 2002 GT. My buddy ran those same wheels and tires.
Oops, I said they recomend a 9.5 inch tire. I meant BFG recomends those tires to not be run on any larger than 9.5" wheel. SO the 10 would be to big. And I did find a 165/80/15 which wasnt quite as tall as I would like but close enough. And with a wheel that size I will have to have a 15x4. So I will still need a spacer right? Also only being 7/16" I dont think they make the type with the studs made in.

·
Banned
918 Posts
87_5point0 said:
Oops, I said they recomend a 9.5 inch tire. I meant BFG recomends those tires to not be run on any larger than 9.5" wheel. SO the 10 would be to big. And I did find a 165/80/15 which wasnt quite as tall as I would like but close enough. And with a wheel that size I will have to have a 15x4. So I will still need a spacer right? Also only being 7/16" I dont think they make the type with the studs made in.
My buddy hasn't had any issues with them on a 10 inch rim so who knows. I have a 15x3.5 with a 165R15 so I don't know where you are finding that info.

As for ths spacer here you go.

These are the ones I run with the studs built in them. You place these on the rotor on the hub and use acorn style lugnuts to fasten them. Then use your existing lugnuts on the spacers stud

Now these are spacers that slip onto the hub between the rotor and wheel, some may require longer studs depending on the thickness. a GT will require a 7/16"

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 15x3.5 with a 165R15 so I don't know where you are finding that info.
I was just saying that the certain tire I found said that it had to be mounted on at least a 4" wheel. What kind of tire are you running?

·
Banned
918 Posts
Its a tire from Pep Boys a 165R15. I am in Missouri (being my so called disgraceful ass to the military Reserves, is activated ) and my Pro Stars are in VA in storage

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok tell me this. Having to go with the [email protected] spacers and lugs and all will f*ck up the whole swapping back and forth between wheels thing I do. Would it be possible to just get some of those deep dish 17x10 or 10.5 Anthracite wheels and some BFG 315/35/17s. I figure maybe the whole being wider than $hit will make up for the side wall flex I was gonna try and go for. I figure I may just keep the bullitt wheels and since they are supposedly the Anthracite color, I will be able to have a matching set of wheels by getting the deep dish bullits.

·
Banned
918 Posts
I dont run my weld on the street unless I am going to race(grudge match or something) Otherwise it's at the track. I leave the wheels at work(the dealership) and when I go to the track I just bring it in the back bay and put them on.

You, can still use the stock studs, where I can not. So swapping won't be too painful.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
blackfang said:
I dont run my weld on the street unless I am going to race(grudge match or something) Otherwise it's at the track. I leave the wheels at work(the dealership) and when I go to the track I just bring it in the back bay and put them on.

You, can still use the stock studs, where I can not. So swapping won't be too painful.
Well what I was thinking was more along the lines of going to the track on weekends then going out and starting trouble on the streets but swapping back to the Cobra wheels for the rest of the week. Unless I just wanna go show off somewhere obviously.

But you dont think I will need to change out the studs just to be able to make it safe? I mean I dont want there to be a 7/16 spacer in there then only be able to get a little bit of the nut on the threads.

Tell me how this sounds to you, just for curiousity sake. Keeping the 2 front Bullitts and getting 2 rear 17x10-10.5 and getting the BFG 315/35/17 DR for the back and just going as narrow as I can on the front Bullitts. This way I was thinking I will still be able to upgrade my brakes to the Cobra front kit and possibly the rear also one day. Does that even sound remotely like a good idea?

·
Banned
918 Posts
You can change the studs out if you want. However my buddy ran his Weld Pro Stars 15x3.5 with stock studs and a 7/16" spacer on the street for atleast 8+ months with no issues at all on a daily driven car.

If it is for the track only, don't waste your money on a 17 inch DR of that size, just to swap out on track runs. You will get better results and traction with a 15 inch DR. You could get (2) bart 15x8 with 5.5" BS from summit(45 bucks each) and mount (2) BFG 275/50R15 DR's on them for the rear and keep the front ones stock.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
blackfang said:
You can change the studs out if you want. However my buddy ran his Weld Pro Stars 15x3.5 with stock studs and a 7/16" spacer on the street for atleast 8+ months with no issues at all on a daily driven car.

If it is for the track only, don't waste your money on a 17 inch DR of that size, just to swap out on track runs. You will get better results and traction with a 15 inch DR. You could get (2) bart 15x8 with 5.5" BS from summit(45 bucks each) and mount (2) BFG 275/50R15 DR's on them for the rear and keep the front ones stock.
THats what Im saying. I may run around with them on there more than just to the track and back. It I need to go out and flex out on anyonre I'll want it all looking good and matching too. Thats why I was wanting to go with the wider Bullitts. To keep things looking the same but getting more of a footprint in place of lack of sidewall. But I still dont know just what I want to do

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.