Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some insight as to what my options are as far as replacing the manual steering in my car with a rack and pinion kit. I have purchased all new springs/bushings/shocks for the rear which will give it a 1" drop. I would like to put a rack and pinion kit on the front and replace all suspension components as well (springs/shocks/upper and lower control arms/etc...) and obviously drop it 1" as well. I've seen many kits on eBay ranging from $800.00 to $2500.00. If anyone with past experience or knowledge of these systems has any advice to pass along it would be greatly appreciated-

·
Registered
233 Posts
flaming river

HI, I've installed my Flaming river rack and flaming river steering column on my '67 coupe/289, also with classic air. I bought mine through laurelmountain, but you can buy direct if you were to go that route. I can't tell you how well it steers as it's going to be another few months before I can actually put the car on the ground. I'm not near my computer which has quite a few photos. This FR unit bolts to where the idler arm and where the original gear box went. Very sturdy indeed. It also came with the power steering pump. Again, I can't tell you how well it works cause the motor is not even in the car yet! If you have any further questions, feel free to call me, dne'. 832-607-9116 or [email protected] I will say this; I would not have wanted to install the rack with the motor in. I have my motor out and it's much simpler! If you're going with the stock column, you'll have mods to do to it to accomodate the u-joints that lead to the rack~! ha, I had to modify my new flaming river to work as well! yeah, 3 hour installation! Don't believe anyone that says easy installation!

I originally was going just go with standard steering, then I bought a complete original rebuilt power steering set up, but then decided to go with the rack! not the cheapest way to go, but my husband said I can buy the rack if I wanted to despite wasting money on other stuff!

Hope this helps~!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have the total control rack and pinion with the krc pump. it is on the expensive side but very easy to install and I have had it in for 10 years now with no problems just praise.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have the Total Control Products Power Rack and Pinion on my 67, i used the power steering pump off a 88 GT. I put it on the car in 2003 and, it didn't take to much to put it on, and it has been working great.

The car is way more fun to drive with a rack on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys- I'm going to check into the companies ya'll listed and see what I can come up with- I'll post my findings asap :happydance:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts