Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wanting to put rack and pinion steering in my 66,which brand would be the best for the money, ease of instalation,i was told unisteer manual would be the way to go,any opinions would be appreciated.eng. is in the car,289

·
Registered
143 Posts
I installed a Total Control Products manual rack in my 70 coupe. I'm very happy with it, good price, easy install, clear instructions, and a quality product.

·
Registered
28 Posts
rack and pinion

there are a few out there flaming river makes one,rss makes one and borgenson makes a power steering set up that looks like and bolts in place of the orginal steering sector( not a rack)

i looked at all of these and also elected to go with TCP power rack set up on my 67 fastback. a little more money than the others but I thought is was worth the expence

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a 67 fastback with a RRS power rack, and a 66 fastback with manual steering....it's a k code with a shelby drop.
I swore by rack and pinion steering for a long time. A good mustang mechanic used to say, that a manual rack, in good condition would be nicer to drive.

Thoughts.... I like the RRS rack; it's very pleasant in the city, and parking. On the highway it's very sensitive....
But after a lot of road trips with the 67, I find the steering almost too sensitive. You have to pay attention all the time, if you glance down at the radio, you risk to change lanes...(I'm exaggerating a bit), but it's very sensitive. Maybe just a bit too much. And although steering is easier, you lose a bit of turning radius, so you gain ease, but you can't turn as tightly, which has disadvantages if you live in a city.

The manual steering on my k code is a really nice. Sure it's a bit difficult parking, but it's not so bad. At highway speeds, its really nice... I would say a nicer road feel then the rack. both my cars are serious drivers...there are advantages to both. Both need the right front end alignment; as a lot of steering problems come from bad alignment. Your steering can become radically better with the right alignment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts