Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I was out for a short drive on a nice 98 degree evening and noticed my temperature gauge was pointing a little more towards the H than normal. Anyone have any experience using a radiator flush of any kind? Is it woth it? I have had this car about 18 months and the radiator appears to be stock. I did put new coolant in and a new t-stat. i have access to an infared thermometer gun to get a temp reading but have not used it yet. . Has not boiled over, but the gauge pegs when I pull back into the garage. Looking for any simple things to do short of a new radiator. Getting a new top Saturday so I need to save money!

Thanks, HT :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
flushes are common on newer cars. not sure if the radatior in the older models used a different aluminum mix.. but ive just the directions on the back of a box and havent had a problem.

some ppl are scared of it... but like i said its a common drill now. we even do them at work.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I wouldn't be scared of doing the flush, it won't hurt but may not fix the problem either. If the car is not overheating but the gauge is showing pegged, it may be the sensor or gauge and not the radiator. You might take advantage of the infrared gun and see if it is showing the same.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I think the first order is to read the actual temperature. The gauge may be a little suspect since it is 45 years old. I changed the sensor earlier as the gauge was not moving at all.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The gage pegging after sitting is normal. Once the coolant stops flowing heat is not disipated and the engine block heats up. Flushing may help the temperature problem but a professional power flush will likely actually blow any debris out. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts