Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody used anything to successfully polish the scratches out of the display? Unfortunately, the dealer didn't warn me that it was made from fairy wings ... I scratched it just grabbing the plastic to take it off. What a POS.

Of course I then tried to use some mequairs scratch x that I've successfully used in the past to polish up gauge clusters, and that made it horrendous. Can barely see the display now if sunlight hits it.

Anybody used a plastic polish that was able to get it back to somewhat normal?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I thought I read a post on here of how to clean the lens of the radio and gauges that Ford makes a product for it but cannot find that thread can anyone chime in on how to remove the scratches or how to clean the lens without getting swirls or scratches?? I swirled my lens up bad on my 2010 GT and i am scared to clean the lens on my 11 GT!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yea, I hope someone has a solution. Without thinking I took a paper napkin to it one day when the sun was highlighting the dust to my disdain. Didn't notice till several days later, but I scratched the poo out of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bump to this... I would also like to find something to polish out the scratches. Why is that plastic so soft? Mines all scratched and I've only used microfiber towels to clean it. :eyebulge:

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
My dealer scrached the krap outta mine when they took off the sticker (wish they hadn't touched it). I was thinking about using a wet sand on it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Anybody used anything to successfully polish the scratches out of the display? Unfortunately, the dealer didn't warn me that it was made from fairy wings ... I scratched it just grabbing the plastic to take it off. What a POS.

Of course I then tried to use some mequairs scratch x that I've successfully used in the past to polish up gauge clusters, and that made it horrendous. Can barely see the display now if sunlight hits it.

Anybody used a plastic polish that was able to get it back to somewhat normal?
When I got my car, took off the sticker, gave it a "polish" with the highest quality microfiber cloth on the market. End result? Looks like trolls went ice skating on it.

·
Registered
192 Posts

step 1: meguiars m105 and yellow Lake County 4" pad
step 2: Menzerna Micro Polish with white Lake Country 4" pad
step 3: Menzerna Micro Polish with blue Lake Country 4" Pad
step 4: wipe with quick detailer, dry wiping this plastic screen will cause it to scratch no matter what.

Don't understand anything I just said? A detailer might.

or www.autopia.org

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the directions Tispho. I had the same issue as alot of the other (someone else scratched the display).

·
Registered
319 Posts
thanks< I think I will try using a Ipad protector on it.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
There's a thread here about using a Ipad protector on it.
This sounds interesting, anybody have a link? I tried searching inside the site and from Google and was coming up empty.

·
Registered
284 Posts
iPad protective film is available at any Best Buy for bout' $20. Enough material in one package to make 3 covers if ya hose the install.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
protective film is great ... before it's ganked.

Thanks for the polishing write-up; way more involved than I'm willing to do. I'll have to see if a local detail shop is willing to take a wack at it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.