Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2005 Mustang here in Sweden, but I have one problem with the Shaker 500 stereo. Whenever i do a search, manually or automaticly - is searches only on odd frequency. Ex. 99.3, 99.5 and so on..

I don't know about you in the USA, but here in Sweden we have quite a few radiostations with an even number on the frequency, but I just can't get them. The autosearch will skip the 99.4 and that frequenc is the strongest where I live, and the manuell search will jump 0.2 steps at the time..

Is there a way to change this? I have tried to switch to RDS mode and back, but it just won't give me my "even number frequencys"..

Thank you...
Virr..

·
Registered
767 Posts
US FM frequencies are odd number only.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Virr,

I hate to the bearer of bad news...but you will NOT be able to access those even frequencies. The Broadcast frequency modulation uses what are called Guardbands in between each carrier frequency so that stations do not bleed over into each other causing distortion and such. In Europe these are 50Khz on either side of the carrier frequency giving you 100Khz of separation; in the US we use a larger 100Khz guardband giving us 200Khz of separation. Your only recourse, I believe, is to get an aftermarket stereo. Most of the name brand stereos can be changed to step in smaller increments, giving you access to all the channels.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Virr said:
Just bought a 2005 Mustang here in Sweden, but I have one problem with the Shaker 500 stereo. Whenever i do a search, manually or automaticly - is searches only on odd frequency. Ex. 99.3, 99.5 and so on..

I don't know about you in the USA, but here in Sweden we have quite a few radiostations with an even number on the frequency, but I just can't get them. The autosearch will skip the 99.4 and that frequenc is the strongest where I live, and the manuell search will jump 0.2 steps at the time..

Is there a way to change this? I have tried to switch to RDS mode and back, but it just won't give me my "even number frequencys"..

Thank you...
Virr..
If it was thru a ford dealer, I'd take it back- dunno what Ford would say, but would expect at least they'd offer something...I read a couple days ago where a guy had his european car reflashed for something...kms instead of miles or such, anyways then he gor a tire pressure monitor fault...pressure sensors were talked about for the 06, but never went in yet- another little oops by the ford export guys...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Tjena!

Välkommen till AFM!

Självklart skall Ford där hjälpa dig! Eller köpte du bilen här?

Var i Sverige är du? Jag är från Åland...

Din moderator (va f-n de nu e på svenska...??)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah, what KJ said! :thumbsup

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tjena vaan sinnekin.

I know it sucks to live with an US FM radio in Europe, but wait until you try AM. Even worse.

I haven't figured out the shaker 500 yet, but earlier Ford radios were pretty much hard-wired for 0.2 separation. What I did with my '01 (which I have in storage and use when I'm in Finland) was I bought a casette adapter and hooked an MP3 player to it. With '05 there is no such issue since the 6 disc MP3 player is pretty much enough for a week at a time.. Then change some of the discs.. :winks

If you find a way to flash the stereo for European frequencies, please let me know too.. Lycka till!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.