Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many mustangs the radio opening in my 65 was butchered and I'm wanting to repair it with the metal radio repair panel.My question is how difficult are these to install and for those of you who have installed one did you weld in the entire repair panel or did you cut it down to size? I'm not a welder, but I figure I need to learn and practice alot before attempting this repair. What welder would you guys recommend for doing something like the dash repair panel or floor pans, a MIG or TIG welder. I do have access to an Arc welder would that work or is the metal to thin to use one of these?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Hi there! Good question. I always went by save as much original metal as realistically possible. In your case buy the patch piece. Look at the hole and see where to make your cuts. Test and fit is the name of the game. Get cut your piece a bit larger and grind it down to fit. I use a MIG, an old Century 110 V model with no detent controls ( no click just a smooth turn) and a bottle. TIGs are nice but proven slower in panel replacement. An Arc welder will blow a hole through most sheetmetal without much effort. Look at my thread " Starting my Resurrection"( last page). I posted my "novice MIG practice job" on my traction bar mount. It cracks me up to look at it. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I figured the Arc welder would do that. I'll look into a different welder. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
arc is for thicker metal mig is for middle thicken like most car sheet metal tig is for thinner or harder to weld metals like alum or stainless.mig should be fine for the dash if not tig it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts