Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow pony partners ! I recently purchased a 2005 Mustang from a private owner and rain water leaks into the floor panels.
I have already cleaned out the drain on the passenger side well under the windshield wipers just in front of the firewall where the water backed up, filled the well, and spilled into the passenger side front floor panel. Cleaning it seemed to keep the passenger side front floor panels dry, but not the floor panels in the front and rear on the driver’s side and the rear floor panel on the passenger’s side.
It appears as though this is a common issue with ’05’s and newer models, and as I read more, it appears to have been an issue that dates back to the ‘60s.
Anyone have the fix on keeping my floor panels & cab dry.
Thanks,
Charlie

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Also, there's a 2nd black rubber grommet drain under the firewall driver's side in the engine compartment that may require cleaning.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
my 05 cabin is nice and dry, however, just by chance i had pulled the side covers in the trunk out while changing the shocks only to find a nice leak that fills the inside 1/4 panels with water. ive gotton in there with a flashlight, cant find the source. on the rear side markers inside the trunk, there are some very thin diaphrams that i`m guessing release pressure when you close the trunk. either they are leaking or the marker seals maybe. but it takes on alot of water when it rains and you would never know it if you didnt remove those side panels. i bet a ton of peoples cars are filled with water back there and will never know it :so might want to check yours too. ive yet to find it, my nice trunk has been stripped for a couple months now and i`m hating it

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
also, pull the rt frt tire off and remove the inner wheel well( plastic push pins) there is a rubber harness grommit goes into the pass area. on some cars the grommit is not seated well in the hole

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
my 05 cabin is nice and dry, however, just by chance i had pulled the side covers in the trunk out while changing the shocks only to find a nice leak that fills the inside 1/4 panels with water. ive gotton in there with a flashlight, cant find the source. on the rear side markers inside the trunk, there are some very thin diaphrams that i`m guessing release pressure when you close the trunk. either they are leaking or the marker seals maybe. but it takes on alot of water when it rains and you would never know it if you didnt remove those side panels. i bet a ton of peoples cars are filled with water back there and will never know it :so might want to check yours too. ive yet to find it, my nice trunk has been stripped for a couple months now and i`m hating it
If dirt & grit is laying in the bottom of the water inside the quarter panels, then the leak is on the underside of the car, and the water is being sprayed by the rear tires after a rain. The driver's side rear quarter panel in my 05 GT was filling up with water, dirt, and grit after driving in the rain. Found the source by jacking up the car, removing the rear tire, and squirting water from a hose on the underside of the quarter panel. First, in the wheel well. No water collected inside the quarter panel. Next, squirted behind the wheel well. Water collected. Found a poorly sealed seam on the underside of the quarter panel where the gas tank fill tube passes thru it. Sealed it with duct seal, dried out the inside of the quarter panel, resprayed, and no water collected. And it's been dry since that was done over 2 years ago.
I don't have any suggestions for the passenger's side. Sorry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Drivers side floorboard leak

Thanks to all the great posts on here, my husband was able to fix the leak on the passenger side "waterfall" behind the glove box. Now after a heavy rain, the drivers side rear floor is getting soaked. No water is present anywhere else, the seats aren't wet etc. Any ideas on how to fix this one or where to start looking?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.