Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I will painting my wheels. I want to raise one side at a time so I can remove 2 wheels at a time and paint them simultaneously, that will cut my work time in half.

Can I use a 2 ton jack like this in the center to raise the car:

Walmart.com: Torin Jacks 3 Ton Low Pro Jack: Automotive

And then use these jack stands in the front and back.

Walmart.com: Torin Jacks 3 Ton Jack Stand Pair: Automotive

Do I even need the jack stands? Will the 2-ton jack hold the car in place for the 1 hour I'll need to prep, prime, paint and dry?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Don't try to raise whole one side at a time, raise one end at a time instead.

There is no jacking point in the center of the car to allow you to raise one side with one jack.

You can raise one wheel at a time and then support it, but not one whole side of the car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
when i painted my wheels i just used 2 jackstands, one for each wheel, did the front then back.

im telling you right now tho that 1 hour IS NOT enough for prep paint and dry, your looking more at 3 hours if not more... 3 coats color 3 coats clear with 15min dry time between coats and wet sand + prime before, also a good hour at at the end for the it to dry to the touch so you can mount them

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when i painted my wheels i just used 2 jackstands, one for each wheel, did the front then back.

im telling you right now tho that 1 hour IS NOT enough for prep paint and dry, your looking more at 3 hours if not more... 3 coats color 3 coats clear with 15min dry time between coats and wet sand + prime before, also a good hour at at the end for the it to dry to the touch so you can mount them
That's a great idea, thanks. And I am sure you are right about the time needed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I trust a hydraulic jack just long enough to get the jack stands in place. A jack's seals can let go at any time.
At least promise us that you'll never get under the car if you insist on not using jackstands.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I trust a hydraulic jack just long enough to get the jack stands in place. A jack's seals can let go at any time.
At least promise us that you'll never get under the car if you insist on not using jackstands.
Oh I promise. Even if I survived doing something that stupid, my wife would kill me just to make the point.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just to drive this point home... I owned the same jack for 20 years, never hinted at having a problem. Jacked up the car with no problem and put jackstands under the rear axle. Swapped out the wheels and tires and the jack would not lift the car of the jack stands.

A jack can let go at any moment.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
This is good, but scary info... I need to buy jack stands!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to change the oil on my wife's 2011 v6 and need to know the specific front jack points to use a hydraulic jack. and where can I put the jack stands?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I want to change the oil on my wife's 2011 v6 and need to know the specific front jack points to use a hydraulic jack. and where can I put the jack stands?
You can look in the manual for the jack points, but using ramps is easier and much faster.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Jacking points on our cars are clearly marked. Look underneath just aft of the front wheels, and just forward of the rear wheels. The "notch" in the pinch weld just inside of the plastic lower body cladding is the factory jacking point. The plastic is notched too so you can see the place.

You can also jack from the front subframes which are deeper under the car from where the notches in the pinch weld are, or under the front control arms. Then use jackstands at the notch in the pinch weld to support the vehicle.

In the rear, you can raise the whole car by jacking under the center of the diff pumpkin. Jackstands at the notches in the pinch welds.

In ALL cases jackstands must be placed for safety! Even if you're not under the car! Don't anyone be dumb! :hihi:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts