Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you suggest a ram air intake or a cool air intake for my 4.6 manual? explain why please, if u have the time to. im a beginner and i could really use the knowledge, thank you. ps, im wanting to eventually install a turbo kit, if that helps you in your response...

·
Registered
51 Posts
cold air all the way. I am asuming that ur talking about march ram air kit. ram air is over rated dont get me wrong its not bad but not much better then a cold air intake not to metion ram air is much more high maintinance. u have to clean the filters much more often and the hoses always crack and dry rot on you. o and if you are getting the turbo kit u already have the filter when you convert lol. hope this helped if you want any other info just ask

·
Registered
29 Posts
only ram air i would go with is the JLT ram air. you wot go fast enough for ram air to effectively work. so cold air intake or the JLT ram air is the way to go.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
+3 a CAI will work just fine:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
A cold air induction (CAI) tries to open up the factory air intake and allow more cold air directly into the engine. Cold air is denser, and makes more power. If you look at the stock intake/filter box, it's pretty restrictive. The whole engine is fed though one small hole.

A ram is a specific type of CAI. It attempts to pick up air directly from the high flow air around the car and force it into the intake tract under some pressure. Unfortunatly, you have to be moving pretty fast for it to work, anywhere from 80-120mph, depending on the design. And you need a fairly straight intake track for it to work.

For most street cars, a good CAI will work the same as ram air, and cost a whole lot less.

·
Registered
235 Posts
+5 I'd go with the CAI. I have had friends with the ram air and they were't to happy with it. There are lots of brands out there. They are all about the same, so just pick the one you like the best. K&N is good and has more of a stock look cause the tubing is black plastic. BBk is good and the crome tubing looks good uder the hood. AmericanMuscle.com has a store branded CAI for around $75 that is just as good as any of them, and costs a hell of a lot less. They are always on backorder though. If you are patient enouph to wait, thats a good route to go. I even think I saw a guy in the classifieds from this forum selling a BBK CAI. Ya might check to see if he still has it. Some guys will tell you to look on EBay, if you do make sure you get a good one, and pay attention to the manterials the tubing is made from, Ive had Ebay ones break on me before.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
+6. lol i would go with cold air. i have the K & N FIPK on the way and ive only heard good things about it. people tend to complain about the maintenance of the ram air. also with the k&n cai, the intake tube is made out of plastic. people say the showy chrome and metal intakes attract heat, the last thing you want your COLD air intake to do.

·
Registered
118 Posts
C+L has a good cold air intake..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.