Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you're curising on the highway about what RPM do you shift at?

i try to shift at 1500 if no ones coming up on my butt...

i just like to know random info like this:D

thanks!!!:bigthumbsup

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
i dont know i just feel the car and go.

but around town and on ramps...well i give on ramps hell, about 2000-2500

·
Registered
720 Posts
3,000RPM'S Seems to be real popular. I have an auto so Im an idiot but as for highway driving wouldnt it be easier just to put it and leave it in 5th gear, save gas and less of a strain on transmission. Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont know i just feel the car and go.

but around town and on ramps...well i give on ramps hell, about 2000-2500
haha im the exact same way... theres a 90 degree turn bridge in my town and the "suggested speed limit" is 25... yyyeeeaaahhh i go about 90 haha

·
Registered
232 Posts
yes but you can create bad shift patterns right?
I around three k for higher gears and as I hit 4th and 5th a little less.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3,000RPM'S Seems to be real popular. I have an auto so Im an idiot but as for highway driving wouldnt it be easier just to put it and leave it in 5th gear, save gas and less of a strain on transmission. Sounds good to me.
well 5th gear is real low at 50 mph and sometimes boggin the engine can kill gas mileage... so i was really wondering about 4th or 5th gear at highway speeds

·
Registered
661 Posts
It depends what scenario....if your passing its probably a little better to shift higher than 1500, but i feel that even if your intentions are cruising 1500 seems a little low to shift. That's only like 30 miles an hour inf 4th isn't it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah or its very close to it... i just dont wanna waste gas unless im at the track :)

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
haha im the exact same way... theres a 90 degree turn bridge in my town and the "suggested speed limit" is 25... yyyeeeaaahhh i go about 90 haha

hhaa yea theres a 10 mph turn i do atleast 40

its not bad at all unless its wet

·
Registered
368 Posts
damn...i have an 09 GT and except for 1st gear i'm finding that it feels best to change gears right before 4k rpm

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ford's recommended shifts are at 10/11, 19, 30, and 40 for standards. I don't recommend shifting in to fifth until after 45. This is economy shifting. If I drive by feel/motor, then add 5-6 mph for 1st thru 4th and I shift in to 5th around 50.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I'm just putting around, roughly 1700-1800rpms.

If you're not trying to accelrate fast, you can get around fine in any gear at around 1500rpms, while still not lugging the motor, and still getting good mpg's. :bigthumbsup

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
since i been laid of about 4500-5k every time.

some times more

·
Registered
766 Posts
I drive for economy and I shift around 2K-2100. Spirited driving I shift around 3500 and aggressive, heck I pull it up to 4500-5000. When I really want to have fun I shift at the limiter, 5800.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Around town, not in a hurry, just over 2200.

Really low on gas - 1500

Pulling hard - 6200

I also hell-and-toe downshift into the 4k range fairly regularly.

If it doesn't see near-redline once a week, I get cholesterol buildup. If I wanted a family cruiser, I'd have bought a Taurus.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I do a lot of short shifting in town, keeps it out of the blower.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wow this thread saw a lot more activity then i thought it would. p.s. i finally took some pics of my car to put up here sadly they wont upload ugh maybe another day

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.