Ford Mustang Forum banner
101 - 116 of 116 Posts
Fine interior from my perspective. But then I was raised in 60's and 70's vinyl seats loaded with ass-shredding rips and split seams, and stained musky cloth seats that were so cushy and/or full of holes with missing foam cushion that you'd need a chiropractor after long trips. I've been in high end sport and luxury cars, so I am well aware of the supple joy I am missing out on, but I think the Mustang's premium interior is just fine the way it is. So I guess you could say I don't quite get what's crappy in people's minds although I see the complaints here. I just don't think it's worth complaining about.

Fine interior from my perspective. But then I was raised in 60's and 70's vinyl seats loaded with ass-shredding rips and split seams, and stained musky cloth seats that were so cushy and/or full of holes with missing foam cushion that you'd need a chiropractor after long trips. I've been in high end sport and luxury cars, so I am well aware of the supple joy I am missing out on, but I think the Mustang's premium interior is just fine the way it is. So I guess you could say I don't quite get what's crappy in people's minds although I see the complaints here. I just don't think it's worth complaining about.
And I was raised on 80s and 90s GM interiors. The base Mustang is just fine for me. The interior is light years ahead of my 98 Sonoma I had.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

I will say, the only seats I fell in love with first sit, were in an SRT-4. Fit me like a glove. Then again I'm 6'2 and 165.

I don't find the base car's interior to be intolerably crappy, other than the steering wheel, and I tossed that for the Boss wheel. Maybe I'm in a majority of 1, but I prefer the base cloth seats to the leather, whether it's hot or cold outside they work better for me. They're grippier without being sticky & sweaty or cold & slippery like leather.

The rest of the interior it is plastic, but hey it's a sub-$30K car whose message is the motor.

I don't mind the interior, but its not as angular or edgy as BMW's or Audis.

That said, the one thing that really bugs me in my GT is the silver/grey paint on the radio and shifter panel. I'm thinking about an aluminum trim kit but am worried that will look tacky.

I don't mind the interior, but its not as angular or edgy as BMW's or Audis.

That said, the one thing that really bugs me in my GT is the silver/grey paint on the radio and shifter panel. I'm thinking about an aluminum trim kit but am worried that will look tacky.
I would pass on a plastic wraparound deal. There is someone here who took apart their interior and wrapped it all up in 3M carbon fibre stuff, looked good... in pics that is...

Forum member Deki painted his console panels piano black; you can see them here, in the first post. It turned out great and I'm considering doing the same to my car. My sole reservation is that the stock color matches up well with the hinged lid over the cupholders and rear bin of the console, whereas the black is a big contrast. I think the piano black parts look well when considered alone, but I'm just not sure about them when considered in context.

Discussion starter · #108 ·
^eh, tbh, that looks even cheaper than the OEM interior setup, it looks really out of place imo, but to each their own.

Someone did a wood trim to the interior on here. Now, THAT actually looked pretty good.

I only have the base interior but my biggest complaint is the seats, not very comfortable nor do they offer side support.

The Mustang isn't bad and Ford interiors have been getting much better over the last few years. You have to remember that a Mustang is a $22k car. They can add in a few nicer touches as it gets more expensive but the foundation is the same. I consider myself to be a car interior snob. I like to get into every car at the auto show, and touch, poke and hit every button in every car (yes, I'm a child). I've owned many German cars. Yes, Audi/VW has some of the best interiors, but my gripe with them in the late 90's and earlly 00's was the nice rubber coatings they put on every button to make them feel nice would start to peel away after a few years. BMW's have been getting worse over the years. I remember installing a ipod module in my 03 530 and you'd think stuffing a small audio wire between the door plate or headliner would be easy, but nope, it was that tight. The 07 328 I had was much worse on fit and finish. Material selections aside, I like to press and pull on certain parts of the interior to see how much movement is there, how is it put together. This is true build quality. Something the Germans do well and traditionally the Americans haven't. I think the Mustang is put together very well however. I'm sure they will transition those hard plastics over to soft touch materials with the next gen.

The Mustang isn't bad and Ford interiors have been getting much better over the last few years. You have to remember that a Mustang is a $22k car. They can add in a few nicer touches as it gets more expensive but the foundation is the same. I consider myself to be a car interior snob. I like to get into every car at the auto show, and touch, poke and hit every button in every car (yes, I'm a child). I've owned many German cars. Yes, Audi/VW has some of the best interiors, but my gripe with them in the late 90's and earlly 00's was the nice rubber coatings they put on every button to make them feel nice would start to peel away after a few years. BMW's have been getting worse over the years. I remember installing a ipod module in my 03 530 and you'd think stuffing a small audio wire between the door plate or headliner would be easy, but nope, it was that tight. The 07 328 I had was much worse on fit and finish. Material selections aside, I like to press and pull on certain parts of the interior to see how much movement is there, how is it put together. This is true build quality. Something the Germans do well and traditionally the Americans haven't. I think the Mustang is put together very well however. I'm sure they will transition those hard plastics over to soft touch materials with the next gen.
Look at the new Fusions. They're quite nice inside.

Discussion starter · #113 ·
I know I made this topic at the beginning of the year, but I must say, since I made this topic, 3 friends who own the German luxury cars rode in my car. Said they loved the interior. The "light" show always gets everyone all the time. And I took a 2 hr trip with me and 3 other adult guys, they all said they were really comfortable.

I've had my 2013 Premium GT for three weeks now. Really not as bad as I expected. I don't like black but the charcoal interior is not too dark. The leather Recaros look real nice if yours had a good factory tailor. On mine, the stitching is near perfect and doesn't wander around a bit, plus the white thread really stands out on the dark seat. Even the rear seats look very nice. Too bad the leather is probably bonded stuff. What? A $40K car doesn't merit that?

Things I don't like: my previous cars like a Mazda and my current Honda has digital A/C control, e.g. you can adjust temp in degrees on an LCD screen. The Mustang with the plain knobs is really old school.

Also the way the dials and knobs and detents operate isn't as nice as on my 2000 Honda Accord (which has real Nappa leather seats, BTW). At least they copied the Honda with lights next to the mirrors on the sun visors, but the Honda uses two mirrors.

I don't like the retro dash since hard to read the MPH and RPM. I would much prefer a modern digital readout. However I really love the 4.3" LCD screen with the Tracks Apps. Really crisp, bright, and sharp. The digital/virtual gauges are awesome and it's neat how you can change the steering feel electronically. You have to wonder though, at what point all the computer stuff will start acting up or malfunctioning. 8 years down the line? 10?

Finally, I like the strong A/C flow on the car. I have it set to second to last setting and it is plenty strong for me. Also the A/C is pretty nice and cold and I have it set at 70% of max.

My interior seems really nice anyway. Plus the ambient light/color choices are great! The leather seats seem really nice too. My 14' is light years away in better interior quality from my 93' 5.0.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.