Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspy Exhaust Note

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  A7X1031 
#1 ·
Alright my exhaust setup is the JBA long tubes with the off-road h and the borla stingers....I am noticing a raspy sound with this setup...any idea on how to get rid of the raspiness and retain the deep rumble?

#2 ·
I have a very deep rumble, but I left my stock manifolds on with the Pypes O/R H and Borlas. Some don't like them because of the little perfomance they give, but try the shorty headers. Besides, from what I read, long tubes are mainly for sound change and don't offer much for what they cost.

#6 ·
If I were in your situation, I would try and put on a small straight through muffler right after the "H" part on the exhaust. I would try something like a universal bullet style muffler. They are fairly small and should need little modification to place them under the car. Since you don't want to remove the headers, from my view, this would be a way to change the tone of the exhaust without restriction. This of coarse will require more money without a guarantee of the result. I would think about the best thing to do, sell the long tubes versus more money for alterations. I have heard long tubes are difficult to install, just decide which is your best option.

BTW, I see your from Wheeling. I don't live too far from there, I have been to National Tire and Wheel there along the river a couple times when I had my truck. There are some big trucks running around there.

#4 ·
I am assuming you mean that hollow metallic sound that Flowmasters are famous for? They sound great until you get into them and they get that metallic sound. Similar to the glasspacks of the old days?

I have Supertrapps on mine and they have a deep sound, but lost the metallic sound I had with Flowmasters. Expensive, and they have to be custom installed, not a bolt on by any means.

I wish I knew someone with a digital video camera. Sound quality on my wife's digital camera is a joke. It was not designed for video. I have several people wanting to hear them both with and without the baffles.

#7 ·
yeah i was thinking of using the same thing STL has, the dyno max race bullets, i am hoping that gets rid of it....if not i guess i'll just learn to live with it. I know exactly where your talking about....I too have been to National Tire, and your right there are some big trucks around this way....some are just way too big but some look really good also

#12 ·
I took the Flowmasters off because at 4am on the way home they gave me a migraine. I put the trapps on and they sound just as mean at idle or when you rev it up. They do not have that raspy sound or a drone at highway speeds. They have a deep throaty sound like the old muscle cars. I wish I knew someone with a digital video camera. I am still looking for someone around here with one. :gringreen

I have a digital recorder and bought a nice stereo microphone and tried that. I think it was just too loud for it to handle. Guess it was made for board rooms and such.

#11 ·
I know what you mean about the raspy sound. Wish mine wasn't that way but it's not as bad as some I've heard.

#14 ·
Take off your off-road H, put an H on it with high flow cats. This will smooth out the high turbulant exhaust you have blowing out at such a high non restricted output. I had the same problem. I did this and it fixed it. I wasnt happy with my stingers so I replaced them with MAC boom tubes and now I couldnt be happier, they are honestly the nicest sounding axle-back I have ever heard. Very mean, but refined.

#15 ·
I have true duals with my borlas and it has a really deep rumble to it. You could try that if you want. I love how deep it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.