Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a new 2008 GT preimum convertible (manual) with IUP. Bought it a couple of weeks ago but obviously it had been sitting on the dealer's lot for some time. There are a couple of rattles that are driving me crazy and I was hoping for some help. Of course, I don't hear any of them with the top down. :D Unfortunately I live in the Northeast so I have to drive with the top up at least some of the time. And I can't always drive with the stereo blasting.

Anyway - Rattle no. 1 is the plastic panel behind the driver's side interior door latch. It loose enough so I can slide it forward and backward about 1/8" with my finger. I've found several posts about this one, and it is apparently fixed easily by removing the panel, applying some foam to the back and reinserting. The foam holds the panel in place. What I have not found, however, is an explanation of how to remove the panel or reinsert it. Do I need to remove the entire door panel to get at it, or is there some way to just pop it out and replace it?

Rattle no. 2 is harder to find. It only occurs when I drive in 5th gear over rough pavement on the highway. I just can't seem to pinpoint it but it sounds like it is coming from somewhere in or behind the dash. I have tried pressing down various places on the dash, the convertible latches and the top where it meets the windshield (I don't recommend doing any of this while travelling down the highway at 65mph, by the way), also tried removing all CDs from the Shaker, but no luck. I don't think it is coming from any of the air vents.

Anyway, I am not looking forward to taking the car back to the dealer to get these fixed, particularly no. 2, since they are likely to tell me over and over again that they can't reproduce it or find anything. Also, the idea of them taking the whole dash apart, and possibly creating new problems, is not something I want to think about.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Hello! :wavey

I also have a 2008 GT, and I had a similar rattle under the dash to what you are describing (#2). I left it alone and after about 20,000 miles it went away. :headscratch: I didn't think it was that annoying, and I don't spend much time on the highway, so I figured it wasn't a big deal.

As far as issue #1, someone on here who has done it should be able to help.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'd take it to the dealer anyways, it should be their problem if it is under warranty. I don't know about the first rattle, but the second sound like it might be a heat shield that has come loose, which can easily be fixed, but you shouldn't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have an '07 Vert and i have the 2 exact same noises, dealer told me they only cover rattles till 10 miles, they are so freagin useless, that warranty is worth nothing unless theres a major issue.

I have yet to find out how to take of that inner door latch panel but at least i know where the rattle is coming from and ill get to it eventually.

The second rattle, at least mine, sound like its coming from between the drivers side A pilar and the dashboard, havnt been able to figure out exactly where though.:headscratch:

Let hope we get some people with those issues sorted out to chime in.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an '07 Vert and i have the 2 exact same noises, dealer told me they only cover rattles till 10 miles, they are so freagin useless, that warranty is worth nothing unless theres a major issue.

I have yet to find out how to take of that inner door latch panel but at least i know where the rattle is coming from and ill get to it eventually.

The second rattle, at least mine, sound like its coming from between the drivers side A pilar and the dashboard, havnt been able to figure out exactly where though.:headscratch:

Let hope we get some people with those issues sorted out to chime in.
10 miles? Is that a typo? That's like the distance from the dealership to my house!

·
Registered
858 Posts
hahah, yeah, i meant 10k miles

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My convertable just had the drivers side window regulator replaced. IT Stopped the rattle:bigthumbsup
2 new rattles on the drive home. Guess what the first one is.

Driver's side windows are now rattling when I go over bumps. Rattles stop when I open either of the windows so I am thinking it is an alignment issue.

Also for the first time I am hearing a metallic buzzing noise from underneath the car when accelerating at around 5K rpm. Sounds like something is loose under there.

I must say that, while I love driving the car, I am quite disappointed with the initial quality. I have less than 500 miles on it and it should be a lot tighter. I've owned many cars over the years and never had so many little problems right off the lot :( My wife's car is a Taurus X; we've had it for 6 months now and it has been just about perfect. In fact, one of the reasons I bought the Mustang was that I was so impressed with the quality of her car.

S

·
0 Posts
are you only getting the metallic noise when the engine is cold?
if so, it's just a heat shield and it will go away once the car is warmed up

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are you only getting the metallic noise when the engine is cold?
if so, it's just a heat shield and it will go away once the car is warmed up
Well, I had been driving for about 10-12 minutes, I think the car should have been warmed up at that point.

S

·
0 Posts
Well, I had been driving for about 10-12 minutes, I think the car should have been warmed up at that point.
yeah...that might not be it then...
You may have to bite the bullet and have someone look at it...:(

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had creeking sound from around the passenger door,dash area but it went away. Now I get a rattle over bumps from the passenger seat and something in the rear of the car. I would rather try to find them myself than go to the dealer.

Mark

·
Registered
858 Posts
I must say that, while I love driving the car, I am quite disappointed with the initial quality.
There was a thread about this issue earlier, considering how many Mustangs they made, the over all initial quality rating for the 05+ Mustang is actually very high. Yours happens to be one of the few that has some issues, i woudlnt even call them issues jsut a few rattles. There some other people with far worse things to deal with in a brand new new.

I am very pleased with the overall quality of my Stang, even with the rattles.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There was a thread about this issue earlier, considering how many Mustangs they made, the over all initial quality rating for the 05+ Mustang is actually very high. Yours happens to be one of the few that has some issues, i woudlnt even call them issues jsut a few rattles. There some other people with far worse things to deal with in a brand new new.

I am very pleased with the overall quality of my Stang, even with the rattles.
Well, I agree that these are minor issues overall, but they do detract somewhat from the enjoyment of my new car. When I drive I want to hear the engine and the exhaust, not rattles and buzzes. Giving Ford the benefit of the doubt, the car was just sitting on the lot for about a year before I bought it. That may have something to do with the problems.

My biggest anxiety is having to deal with the dealer's service department. I can see it now - either they won't find a problem and will tell me that the car is functioning within spec, or they will create some other problem by trying to fix one of these.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I cant even get those sumbiatches to fix the Rag top that has developed holes from the motor after less than 2 years, my local dealers SUCK.

If you want to NOT hear the rattles and hear your exhuast, get some Flowmasters :gringreen, its only a matter of time until you start modding the car.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I did hear a lot less rattels when I added the X pipe and the FRP Stingers...

RedMosesSC, They still won't take care of your roof? Have you tried to cantact a factory rep? I had a paint problem with Dodge I had a few yers ago and ended up getting through to Chrysler. Once I got to the right person the problem was resolved quick. Dealers are afraid of factory reps and will do anything to please them. Maybe you will have to drive up to RI and go to Tasca Ford, they gave me a new roof with one look.

Mark

·
Registered
858 Posts
I sent an email to the factory rep with pics and he denied it. The local dealership said to try other dealers that use different facotry reps because each rep represents many dealerships, i just dont have the time. It just sux that they make you fight with them for problems that are obviously factory related. I would go to Tasca Ford but it would have to be a week day and i cant miss work for it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The way things are in Detroit you would think they would be kissing customers butts to keep them happy and buying American. I guess some dealers just have more power with the factory.

Mark

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did some more driving today and now it appears that the rattle I thought was coming from the dash is actually coming from where the convertible top connects to the top of the windshield. It does not appear to be a loose latch (they seem pretty tight). More like it's coming from somewhere inside the plastic in front of the top.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.