Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here using the Ravelco anti theft device on their Mustang? I've had it on my last three vehicles and swear by it, especially since it saved my 06 Wrangler Unlimited.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I'm looking into this for mine. How much do they cost?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Kind of pricey I think. I think a good setup from a major alarm company with starter or fuel cut switches is a good idea to.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Where I live, cars are stolen with tow trucks. Anything that works by disabling the engine is usless. Besides, all new cars require a key chipped to the vehicle to start the vehicle. That's why the keys cost so much to replace. Ignition and gas cut offs are superfluous.
I think the only thing that is worth adding is LoJack.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
NYC isn't where I live, and according to statistics 90% of cars are stolen by driving them away. Lojack isn't available where my daughter is going to college. Theives can hot-wire a car without the key because the factory wire diagrams are published information, so they know exactly what to do.

I found a brand new Ravelco unit on ebay for $75. I wonder if I can install it myself.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NYC isn't where I live, and according to statistics 90% of cars are stolen by driving them away. Lojack isn't available where my daughter is going to college. Theives can hot-wire a car without the key because the factory wire diagrams are published information, so they know exactly what to do.

I found a brand new Ravelco unit on ebay for $75. I wonder if I can install it myself.
If you've never done this before I don't recommend installing it yourself. Ravelco is definitely something that requires someone with a lot of experience to install it. I've had it on three of my cars, including the Mustang now. Each time it took the tech over four hours to install it.

Ravelco is not just a simple cut off switch that disables one or two components, it disables multiple things by tapping into your factory wiring harness. In addition to that it is booby trapped so that if the thief is stupid enough to attempt guessing which cable does what (all cables are black and routed to a titanium harness under your dash) he will start blowing fuses left and right.

I credit Ravelco with saving my Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. Someone had been casing my car at the commuter lot where I use to park. For a few weeks I would come back to the Jeep and notice that the alarm had been tripped (I had installed an alarm on it before I found out about Ravelco). I didn't think much of it and thought it was people walking by it and tripping the perimeter sensor since I would leave it wide open. One day I finally noticed what you see in the picture below. As you can see it is a very clean cut and hard to notice unless looking at it up close. Apparently someone tried to cut through the plug with a Dremel or something similar but could not get through the titanium harness and eventually gave up. Whoever was doing this was a pro because otherwise they would have ripped into my dash and tried brute force so apparently they knew what they were up against.

Another thing, be careful of imitations. I know there is at least one company out there who tried to copy this system and didn't do a very good job at it. Finally, the installation is not cheap, it takes a long time, but in my opinion, well worth it and I will continue to add this to any car I plan to keep for a long time.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
The install price is $470 and the ebay price is now $60. It comes with basic instructions; the whole idea behind the unit is that each install is custom so a thief is forced to guess at it. My son and I are both engineers, I've been a DIYer for 35 years and he's a computer whiz so I'm guessing that we can get 'er done.

But then I found this:

Ravelco - eBay Beware Page

·
Registered
191 Posts
Most cost effective solution is Autolock. It saved my Electron Blue 2000 Honda SI twice. I use it when I park my car in train stations and whenever I park in unsafe areas.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I can't see her using that. I need to install something that is easy and fool proof. Maybe an RFID type device.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Best bet is to do security in layers instead of relying just on one thing. Having experience with Hondas Ive seen what works and what doesnt as those things are stolen like crazy.

Id say for 95 percent of people a good brand name alarm that is installed correctly with a backup battery/siren is sufficient. Some even have GPS features that will email or text you if your car moves but prepare to pay a monthly or annual fee for those services.

Autolock works great and is cheap you just gotta get in the habit of installing and removing it everytime. This will stop a thief for at least a few minutes as the only thing ive seen is people sawing through the clutch pedal and using the stub of it.

This is the first car in a long time I dont have an aftermarket alarm installed. Feels good not having to worry about my car 24/7 like when I owned an Integra Type R.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
The problem with alarms is that no one pays attention to them. Just the other night I heard one go off at the condos nearby and it would honk the horn for 5 minutes, reset, then an hour later go off again. It was 4th of July weekend and I know lots of people were over there but no one bothered to even call the police. After it waking me up four times in succession I closed the window so I could get some uninterrupted sleep.

I like the idea of several systems. Right now I'm looking a to a simple plug like the Ravelco that I can make myself, and wire to a remote hidden relay board with a fuse. Say I have 8 pins, one is +12v, one goes to the relay and the remainder go to the fuse on the ground side of the relay. Suppose thief has a volt meter and finds 12v, then jumps it to another pin. If he hits the wrong pin he blows the fuse and game over. That gives me a 1/7 chance of success. If I set up two of these things my chances are 1/49; three would be 1/343; four 1/2401, etc.

Another idea is an RF reader but I don't know much about those.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you can deal with it, the best anti theft device is what my friend has on his s2k, get a removable steering wheel, tie it to your backpack and your good 2 go. Idk of anyone who would steal a car w/o a sterring wheel

·
Registered
170 Posts
I really like airbags plus steering wheel controls. Its also illegal.

Its all about risk and return on investment for thieves. If you have a relatively stock Mustang its not going to be worth the trouble to defeat layers of security or even one layer for most thieves.

On my Civic I had a decent alarm setup with backup sirens, hidden starter kill switch, and the autolock. You had to defeat all 3 to get the car unless you towed it. Never got tampered with once and this was in Seattle which is horrible for auto theft rates.

If I was really in the ghetto or the mall I had a chain I looped around an outside wheel and locked it with a thick ass padlock with a built in alarm. The padlock alarm are popular with motorcycles and goes through the wheels. Basically if you move the padlock there is a motion sensor inside that goes off within 5 seconds if you dont disarm it with the key to prevent people from just picking up your bike and throwing it in the back of a pickup truck. So if somehow they did steal the car theyd be driving down the road with a huge ass chain attached to the wheel with the padlock alarm going off.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I don't see me disabling the air bag, pulling it off, then the wheel, hoofing it around town then reversing the process when I want to drive it again. I really don't see my daughter doing it. We discussed this last night and whatever I do needs to be simple and foolproof.

We don't have a theft problem here at home but she's going to college next year, probably Raleigh or Wilmington and that's where I anticipate problems.

I was reminded of a story last night that's worth telling here.

Back in 1970 my future brother-in-law graduated college, got a good job and bought himself a new Pontiac GTO Judge. I shouldn't have to tell anyone here what a sweet ride that was. We lived outside of Boston, and he had parked the car on a main road to visit his aunt one afternoon and a thief sees it, breaks off the antenna and uses it to get in, hot wires the car and takes off.

The cops found the car abandoned three days later. The thieves had vandalized the car after their joy ride, and it was a total loss.

His insurance rate went through the roof and all he could afford was a Plymouth Duster. It has an I-6 in it and made that awful ti-ni-ni-ni sound that Chrysler's made when you started them up. He owned that car for years with no problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts