Ford Mustang Forum banner

Raxiom Smoked Headlights - poor light output

10048 Views 22 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  PW_Pony
G
:hihi:So I have had my Raxiom smoked headlights a while and while they are very cool, look awesome and really make the front end of my car they also are the poorest headlights I have owned in the light output deparment.

First they are smoked, so really you need higher than average lights
Second they still use Halogen bulbs instead of low wattage HIDs.

I contacted American Muscle and complained about how bad they were, they were so bad that if I took a back road at night with few street lights I might as well just drove on the Halos only. Thats how bad they are, there were some rainy nights I was really worried for any animal crossing the street. =)

AM apologized for the poor light quality and conceeded to the safety issues that these lights pose. Especially if you watch their latest youtube video on them the claims "bright focused beam are an upgrade" is false =)

The below pic shows the stock bulb on the right, notice how blue it is =) the new bulbs they sent me on the left.

The part number is just below.

Here is the old bulb @12pm at 5 feet away..

Here is the new bulb same time, same distance....

The light output is nearly twice that of the stock bulbs, I can even see them on my pants, and the beams focus is far more intense. Also is a good alternative to going with an HID if your worried about the heat issues.

So if you have the same problem, check with AM and see if they will send you replacement bulbs like the ones they sent me. As always there was no hassle with them and they were free. took 3 days to get to me.

:bounce2:
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Good post! The light output was the entire reason I never fooled with those lights... Glad to see you got it figured out! Did you ever try replacing the stock bulbs in the stock housing with different bulbs before you upgraded the housing to raxiom?
G
Good post! The light output was the entire reason I never fooled with those lights... Glad to see you got it figured out! Did you ever try replacing the stock bulbs in the stock housing with different bulbs before you upgraded the housing to raxiom?

No I had thought of doing that before I contacted AM but I already packaged the stock headlights in the Raxiom shipping box and taped it closed and packed it away in my basement with my other spare stock parts, I just didnt want to go back down there and dig through it all and deal with that. =)
The clear bulbs are better than the blue types or ultra whites.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Smoke headlights in any configuration are not as good as stock headlights for night driving. That is the type decision that is sometimes made when people decide looking good is more important than functioning good.
:hihi:So I have had my Raxiom smoked headlights a while and while they are very cool, look awesome and really make the front end of my car they also are the poorest headlights I have owned in the light output deparment.

First they are smoked, so really you need higher than average lights
Second they still use Halogen bulbs instead of low wattage HIDs.

I contacted American Muscle and complained about how bad they were, they were so bad that if I took a back road at night with few street lights I might as well just drove on the Halos only. Thats how bad they are, there were some rainy nights I was really worried for any animal crossing the street. =)

AM apologized for the poor light quality and conceeded to the safety issues that these lights pose. Especially if you watch their latest youtube video on them the claims "bright focused beam are an upgrade" is false =)

The below pic shows the stock bulb on the right, notice how blue it is =) the new bulbs they sent me on the left.

The light output is nearly twice that of the stock bulbs, I can even see them on my pants, and the beams focus is far more intense. Also is a good alternative to going with an HID if your worried about the heat issues.

So if you have the same problem, check with AM and see if they will send you replacement bulbs like the ones they sent me. As always there was no hassle with them and they were free. took 3 days to get to me.

:bounce2:
eclypse3demons,

I'm sorry about the inconvenience this may have caused you. When running our smoked headlights the output of the stock bulbs can be very dim. That's why we recommend the upgraded bulb (that we sent you) as a drop down option when placing your order.

I'm glad to hear my CS team was able to get your situation handled very quickly. Anytime you need some assistance feel free to give us a call, we'll always do whatever we can to make sure you guys are satisfied!

Thanks for your business and loyalty!

-Dan
Edit: double post. Please delete!
G
Yeah kind of amazed that this was what they released stock, telling you on some of the roads I drive on, you would swear I was just running on parking lights only thats how dim the stock lights defuse.

Makes you wonder how these can be DOT approved as is. Would have been better to just leave the bulbs out and tell the customers to re-use their stocks bulbs I say.

And Dan, you guys have nearly all my business so far on my mustang, there were just a couple of items I got elsewhere due to availability, your service is what edges out many of your competitors. I am very appreciative of your support group.
law enforcement hasn't given you any warnings or anything yet??

Hmm... I really wanted to smoke my tail-lights just a tad... but always worried that whether or not an officer stops you for "illegal lights" seem entirely up to his/her mood, and not on anything explicitly written.

Those lights do look good though! Do you have pics of them on your car?
G
law enforcement hasn't given you any warnings or anything yet??

Hmm... I really wanted to smoke my tail-lights just a tad... but always worried that whether or not an officer stops you for "illegal lights" seem entirely up to his/her mood, and not on anything explicitly written.

Those lights do look good though! Do you have pics of them on your car?

They are not illegal as they are DOT compliant. If they were completely smoked out that would be a different story.... They are just not dark enough to get noticed by the cops.

oh also @Blaseleblanc the stock bulbs are also different than the ones that go into this unit because they are dual duty bulbs (hi/low) as the H9s in the raxioms are only one mode since the high beam is actually a mechanical flap in the projector housing and not a second light source...
Thanks for letting us know - your car looks really, really good!

You almost made me rethink getting my car in black... almost :bigthumbsup
interesting. I may look into some then if the output has gotten better, I heard too may complaints in the past that scared me away.
G
interesting. I may look into some then if the output has gotten better, I heard too may complaints in the past that scared me away.
Nope with the bulbs they sent me its almost the same light output as stock headlights now easily double what it was with the stock blue bulbs, and no HIDs to deal with to get there. (I'd love HIDs and I am sure they can handle them but I heard some people with yellowing problems so I just want to skip it.)

Dan from AM said there was a drop down when you purchase them to select the brighter bulbs, however it is not there now so I am not sure if he knows that.
Mine came with the newer bulbs in them. No need to upgrade. Most people dont adjust the beams. Mine were pointed straight down so just adjust before you take your car out. They were a little better than stocks but not mutch IMO

Sent from my iPad using AG Free
Good post OP I'm thinking of gettin the lights myself soon. I noticed the complaints on the stock bulbs and light output with them on the raxiom halos. Also good pics on the light output on the upgraded lights that AM sent you. They indeed look way brighter, I'll make sure to upgrade the bulbs on the drop down menu on AM sight.

Also i noticed on stangmods.com they got free shipping on those raxiom headlights included are HID conversion kit for them to.
You might want to consider a relay harness, it will make the lights brighter.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...9141-hate-oem-halogin-headlights-45-cure.html
G
You might want to consider a relay harness, it will make the lights brighter.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...9141-hate-oem-halogin-headlights-45-cure.html

No need at this point, the light output is now at a safe level with the new bulbs, also these Raxioms do not have hi/low beams just low. It uses a mechanical flap in the projector housing to limit the amount of light, when hi beams are engaged it opens the flap 100%.

Just for future buys of the Raxiom smoked projector headlights pull the bulbs from them before you install them and confirm if they are the old blue ones or the newer style with as the ones in my first pic, note the part number is in that picture if you want to order them.
No need at this point, the light output is now at a safe level with the new bulbs, also these Raxioms do not have hi/low beams just low. It uses a mechanical flap in the projector housing to limit the amount of light, when hi beams are engaged it opens the flap 100%.

Just for future buys of the Raxiom smoked projector headlights pull the bulbs from them before you install them and confirm if they are the old blue ones or the newer style with as the ones in my first pic, note the part number is in that picture if you want to order them.
When I ordered mine I didn't have that option with the dropdown.

I've noticed decent light output but nothing close to stock. I can almost get more light from my foglights than actual head lights. Also, high beams do not work any better than low beams.

Think I should give AM a call?
G
When I ordered mine I didn't have that option with the dropdown.

I've noticed decent light output but nothing close to stock. I can almost get more light from my foglights than actual head lights. Also, high beams do not work any better than low beams.

Think I should give AM a call?
Yeah I would, there was no drop down option when I bought mine... the new bulbs are very good.
Would it be safe to assume that with the improved bulb from AM, and the NON-smoked raxiom kit, that light output would be better than with the stock halogens and approaching the brightness of the OEM HID lights? Perhaps the clear Raxiom lights can be discussed here as well? Good work by the OP to compare the offerings and thanks for the effort to provide us with info. I'm sure a lot of us are considering changing lighting for various reasons.
Also i noticed on stangmods.com they got free shipping on those raxiom headlights included are HID conversion kit for them to.
Nice to see that complete kits like this are finally out there as an alternative to OEM. I was made aware of only one other company that does this. I stopped searching for the OEM parts at tousley parts once I saw that each light costs $800, then there's cabling. Probably over $2k to put in the OEM kit.

If this kit from stangmods is quality, and not some half-assed chinese built crap like a lot of the kits out there, then I am very interested. Has anyone here installed these?
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.