Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I decided to put the smoked raxiom headlights in the car. I also got the HID conversion from stang mods. First just want to say it looks great. However, I am smelling plastic burning! So I went to feel the housings and they were hot as all get out. Evidently it is too hot. My other concern is they are not bright at all. Night time driving basically is crap with them.

So couple questions, anyone else done this and have a work around? Will capping the bulbs maybe make it not so hot? Any other solutions to actually get these lights bright at night?

Thanks.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Their have been a few complaints about these. Most saying that a wire gets burnt and a light goes out. U might want to check ur wires.

·
Registered
208 Posts
What kit did you buy? 35w or 55w?
This is the problem that most are having with the burning or melting issues. I know some people on here did the conversion themselves on here but went with a 35w and it was bright and ran much cooler. I think the 55w is too hot for those housings.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ok so I decided to put the smoked raxiom headlights in the car. I also got the HID conversion from stang mods. First just want to say it looks great. However, I am smelling plastic burning! So I went to feel the housings and they were hot as all get out. Evidently it is too hot. My other concern is they are not bright at all. Night time driving basically is crap with them.

So couple questions, anyone else done this and have a work around? Will capping the bulbs maybe make it not so hot? Any other solutions to actually get these lights bright at night?

Thanks.
I already went through 3 sets of Raxioms. I had the melted connectors and the Halo lights not functioning AND I did not even install HIDs. I had these problems with the Halide bulbs!!!!

I purchased the Raxioms so that I would have headlights that worked while I got my OEM headlights retrofitted with real projectors, and circuitry, and 55W HIDS. Cost was $580.00 from sickhids.com. This included a lot of custom modifications.

Here is a youtube video of my headlights

2011 Mustang Retro-Fit with Switch-Backs - YouTube

We blacked out the reflectors and pulled the amber turn signal plastic lenses off. Brian installed an LED bulb that is white (Crystal) when running, but turns amber when you hit the turn signals. This job was very professionally executed. My only complaint was that it took so long to complete. But that is because Brian does not charge an arm and a leg for his conversions like the other retrofitters do, and he has a lot of business.

Look at the 2013 Boss HIDs. Ford had the same ides, but since mine was done first, they copied me!:yelpleased:

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
what projectors did you choose? Im doing a mini H1 bi-xenon retrofit right now

It may have taken a bit longer since our headlights are perma-sealed vs the goey sealant most other manufacturers used in the past. If you dont have experience with it, its much much harder to disassemble from what I've read. It'll be my first time with the perma-seal so im getting a spare set of lights to work on slowly

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome lights, anyway I use smoked raxiom and the stang mod kit for hid. Pretty sure 35watt. It is official right headlight is bubbking out

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Heh. I just did this mod today. (35W Diode Dynamics HIDs in Raxiom Tinted Projector Headlights) Works well for me!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I used DDM 35W HID kit and went with the 5000k color range and its pretty much just what I wanted

1 - 14 of 14 Posts