Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:smartass: Please teach me, or point me to a thread I've missed! Thanks!

I've searched and searched and found a ton of great info on reading any and all diagnostic codes. I'm pretty sure I can deal with the basic set of codes as soon as I get a scan tool. My 2000 Mustang GT has had the ABS light on forever and of course traction control hasn't worked because of that. I'm guessing it's a bad sensor, or just bad connection, but haven't investigated too thoroughly yet. I'm looking into buying a code reader and have done tons of research, so I would love to hear which one you all use and why.

Biggest question is which code reader can read my car's ABS? I've found one by Innova but it only does Mustangs w/o TC... Is there one thats NOT 2 grand? Or is it easier to get a basic OBDII and have Ford investigate the ABS this once???

Also, has anyone purchased this tool/software: ScanTool.net LLC - PC, Laptop, or Netbook - Scan Tools - ScanTool.net
I was thinking of getting that for the flexibility and upgrading to get the ABS software, but would like to hear some opinions.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
My understanding of this is that our cars and most others have 3 different sets of diagnostic codes; "P" for powertrain, "E" for electrical and "C" for chassis (those letter designations may vary from one car manufacturer to another, but since we're talking Fords that should get you by). Hence how you see the typical P0450 or whatever code displayed, that letter would be different depending on the system it relates to. Anyway, I would contact the manufacturer and ask which if any of their tools can read the "C" codes, as that is what your ABS/TC is related to. I only casually browsed that link, their little advertisement seems to focus primarily on powertrain diagnostic abilities.

There was an older thread somebody dug up recently on this topic and somebody mentioned being able to diagnose the ABS module by running a jumper wire across a couple terminals and then I guess counting the flashes from the ABS light to come up with a trouble code. I tried to ask the poster who mentioned this (his was one of the recent posts, wasn't trying to ask OP lol) how this was done but got no response. That's the only time I've ever heard of it being done that way though.

You said you already did some research on the subject, so sorry if I just filled you up with a bunch of crap you already knew.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, at least you tried! I figured someone on here would have diagnosed there own ABS problems before???

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has ANYONE on here read there own ABS codes?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts