Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 gt with an 88 mass air motor in it, I don't get a check engine light but the car runs real rich,,, Can anyone help me....

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would like to help. But need more information.

What size injectors?
Stock motor? any mods?
Do you smell gas?
gas mileage?
timing?
what grade gas?
spark plugs? when changed last

Could be a couple of things off the top of my head w/o knowing your setup. injectors to big, fuel pressure to high (if you have stock regulator ignore for now) leak somewhere, too high of octane and/or timing to low, spark plugs not burning 100% efficient causing it to have unburnt gas.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Pull the codes.

Usually a faulty coolant sensor will cause this if it was running right before.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You could. But my car runs rich as well. Found my problem which is no problem as it is needed. But I do not have any codes thrown. That is why i was asking. Sometimes people like to put 24lb injectors in a car that is not needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i have stock injectors and borded .030 over, roller rockers and lifters, no collant sensoer because i don't have the overfill tank on. there seems to be no codes but i haven't tried hooking it up to a scanner, also it backfires alittle through the exhaust when you let off the gass but not much.. anything else you need just ask thanks

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
The coolant sensor is the heart of the EFI system. Bypass it and the car can NEVER run correctly. It senses the temp and adjusts the richness. It is the most common fault.

Backfire? That is a timing issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.