Ford Mustang Forum banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts
Love this stupid debate - I have owned multiple bmw's for over 15 years and I know the cars and love them - The GT is the first armerican car in that time and the reason ford did it right for a lot of reasons - Oh and I have road couse raced several bmw -including a M3 and a M5 - great fun - - again the boss 302 would kick a M3's butt but not a M5 or M6 but we are in the 100k price range = lets get real and talk about Mustangs on this site - bmw has a great forum if you own one and want to talk bmw

gt

but but but a formula one car is way faster then this! (since money isnt a factor)

dont get me wrong bmw makes some very nice stuff. but hum can we et back to topic?!

but hum can we et back to topic?!

I agree............Last chance! Before thread is closed.gif2 & infractions are given out. Kindly read therulez.gif regarding bashing/trolling.

best ive gotten with a absolute perfect launch is 4.7 in my 2014 with 3.73
The 3:73s in my track pack car really might be an impediment to good 0-60 times on stock tires. The only real traction enhancement I have on my car are Upper and lower UPR trailing arms. The stock arms were junk my car hopped so seriously I'd just get out of the throttle out of a fear of breaking something.

You can do better. Like you and others I've found this car to be VERY DIFFICULT to launch on the street with the stock Perrellis. I'm yet to find the rpm at launch that really works in 1rst without excessive wheel spin and containing 2nd gear isn't much better. It may or may not be a factor but I have generated consistently better times with all of the traction nannies OFF..... I got this 4.7 0-60 with plenty of tire spin and even just a tad sideways in 2nd gear just last night......way LESS than a perfect launch or run to 60. I've done better but failed to record it or save it. I've never seen 4.3 ....best so far fell a 2/10th bellow that at 4.5. That's probably all it's got on street tires.sFun_grampa.gif

Seems like the tires and motor both respond to weather conditions. Motor makes GOBS more power in the cooler temps but the problem is the tires start to go away as the temp drops when you need 'em most. A dilemma if there ever was one.

Until someone can convince me I'm missing something........if I really want my BEST times and consistently in the mid 4 second range on the street........it seems pretty clear now.....I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and pony up the cash for wider wheels and wider rubber......255s just don't cut it at the 400HP+ level.

The idea that 3:73 gears would hinder speed is asinine, and most likely due to "order-sheet-regret-syndrome."

Driver skill is important, as these engines have a lot of power that could go to waste or be left untapped by someone with a wooden foot.

Here are the experts, on tape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydykiWKW6fE
Clearly 3:73s are the best gear available for drag racing available without swapping in something even steeper later...... but this assumes you were willing to pay up what ever it takes to get the traction street tires and the stock suspension set up don't seem to provide.

I don't regret for a moment the choice to go with the 3:73s but do acknowledge that they make launching the car more difficult on street tires. Your "expert" in this video is doing it on concrete....... I can't speak for you but I rarely find myself on these ideal situations out on the street and I'd also bet anything they got 4.3 and 12.8 as a best run out of more than just a couple of attempts.

The car that is CONSISTENTLY capable on the street is the car that is set up best.

I don't care who is doing the driving........I really doubt ANYONE is getting 4.3s 0-60s on street tires CONSISTENTLY on the street with the stock suspension and tires.

New Camaro SS cars have IRS and the LE1s come with 305s.

Given the weight advantage and 3:73 gearing.... along with what I believe is the better motor I think our cars can CONSISTENTLY beat an SS.....but I wouldn't make that bet on my stock 255s.

That's not regret ........ it's a condemnation of the stock set up and an acknowledgement of the idea that I need to spend a few more bucks to get the car "consistent" and easier to launch so that I would make the bet on any given race between my car and an SS Camaro riding on 305s.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.