Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the 500-650bhp range? I see (exclusively online) people with 600+bhp running stock internals (can't tell if they are lying or not) all the time. I am a bit skeptical considering I read that the rods are powdered and the engine is at 11:1 stock.

Really, how high can you go without an internal rework? And for how long?

Probably different blowers have different requirements, especially if they come with warranties, right?

Also, I am apprehensive about the fact that my car is a DD and the whine might drive me insane on my daily 95 mile commute (I should really move or get another DD).

I am a total noob, btw :)

For a 2011 GT

·
Registered
291 Posts
Helical gears ftw....that's for the whine.

I think that at retail prices of 6000 they are all nice...

I would not drive 95 miles a day...

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
A twin screw will be silent at cruising speed, personally I'd get the Edelbrock...as far as how much hp? Who knows, don't risk more than you can afford to lose.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't know but someone posted a TSB from Ford pretty recently telling their mechanics how to detect and deny warantee work to people with performance mods. Sort of a no-brainer but I have to think Ford must be having 5.0s come in with major damage somewhat frequently to put out a TSB on it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My car:

YouTube - ‪2011 Ford Mustang GT Procharged‬‏

Since my latest retune with Rick, I made 738 rwhp and 531 rwtq SAE corrected. I've put 3000 miles on it since supercharging and I only know one way to drive it, hard. I add Torco to every tank. I am in the process of adding a Precision 46mm wastegate and a 3.55 pulley. I'll be see what happens at 12psi of boost with MS109 in the tank. I know 7 people with FI 2011s and 2 with nitrous.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I think I read the guys at either Lethal Performance or Moss Muscle have their 5.0 pushing out over 800rwhp with all stock internals.

The coyote (to steal a Joe Rogan saying) can take it, man. Nothing like my 4.6 which blows apart at about 500hp:nono:. You can add all the power you want and rev it to the moon and you'll probably be fine. Great motor.

BTW The blower whine is so freaking cool! If I was to get one, I'd shop for the LOUDEST one on the market. I want it to sound like something from Star Wars when I hit the gas. :bigthumbsup

I hear the E force is very quiet.

·
Registered
532 Posts
According to the very interesting and enlightening article linked below, the Coyote was designed with increases in power in mind, including four bolt machined main bearing caps, provisions for direct injection, and an over-strong block. The rods on the current 5.0 are powdered metal, but running them with forced induction is likely to chew into the safety margin, so caution would be advised in using them with turbo- or superchargers... ;)

The current innards are designed for 400 HP, so increasing HP would likely be a no no if you want warranty protection and the engine failed due to increased HP...
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1003_2011_ford_mustang_gt_50_coyote_engine/index.html

"We just wanted to make sure it was a good base going forward, that the architecture would last us the next 10 or 15 years."
"Another seemingly simple choice was to make the block aluminum, as the Blue Oval mandate is to save weight. However, the Coyote will inevitably be supercharged. The team didn't want to have to re-engineer the block later, so it was designed with forced-induction loads in mind."

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
My 2011 5.0 is running a 94 octane aggressive tune and a CAI.The block and crank are plenty strong but with cast pistons and powdered rods that is as far as I want to go. Im an old school forged rod and piston guy. :winks

·
Registered
532 Posts
My 2011 5.0 is running a 94 octane aggressive tune and a CAI.The block and crank are plenty strong but with cast pistons and powdered rods that is as far as I want to go. Im an old school forged rod and piston guy. :winks
Am with you - prefer to keep the internal parts INSIDE the engine ;) Am surprised to see powdered rods on a 400HP engine, but then again, I thought I'd be using paper maps forever...

Based on the article linked above, repeated below, it is unlikely the tune and CAI will put the pressure on the piston/rod that they would see with a turbo or blower... Makes me wonder what the max SAFE HP would be...
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1003_2011_ford_mustang_gt_50_coyote_engine/index.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.