Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 02 V6 and the gas mileage is kinda worrying me. I just replaced all shocks and struts, 3 point fuel system cleaning, new k&n air filter, checked tire pressure of course, coolant exchange oil change and brake replacement. I do know that there was an engine light. Code said it was an exhaust leak. But I think it was just a sensor malfunction because its no longer on. I really think I shoul be getting better mileage from a tank so any ideas on what else I can do. I'm getting just under 300 miles out of a topped off tank. PLEASE HELP!!!:headscratch:

R

·
0 Posts
300 miles to a tank? That is not really bad at all. I run mine from full to the empty line and I manage 220-300 miles per tank depending on whether I am doing city or highway. That puts me at 17 to 24 MPG.
How many gallons of gas are you using? It usually takes 12.5 gallons to fill up when I'm on the 'E'.

Edit: As for getting better gas mileage, just do some simple things. Make sure your tires are at the proper inflation regularly. Resist the urge to lead foot it as much as possible. Try to coast to stops for as long as possible. Be easy on the pedal when taking off from a stop. If you are on the highway don't do 75-80, keep it under 70. If possible get behind a semi (not too close, keep it at least 150'+. 200' or more and you will still get a good boost in mileage) and "draft."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see. Well honestly I didnt even take tank size into consideration. Im so used to a 15 gallon tank. Well I guess it just means more pit stops on the freeway. hahaha Thanks for the reply.

R

·
0 Posts
The tank is 15 gallons max capacity. You do not normally dip into the last gallon or two until your low fuel light turns on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. Another question you might help me on... I want to put new exhaust pipes on it. ANy in mind that sound great yet add a little boost?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Next time you fill up, set your tripometer to zero. On your next fill up, write down the miles driven and gallons added to fill up the tank. Divide the mile by the gallons to get your combined mpg. I have a stock 2003 and drive over 90% in the city and get 18-21 mpg depending on how I drive. :gringreen

R

·
0 Posts
There are a lot of choices when it comes to exhaust. Personally I like the sound of true duals. You can have a muffler shop make you a nice system with flowmaster 40s for about $350.
( I hope this posts ok. I'm posting this from my iPod.) :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
910 Posts
Edit: If possible get behind a semi (not too close, keep it at least 150'+. 200' or more and you will still get a good boost in mileage) and "draft."
The Semi trick does work, I used to do that on a bicycle believe it or not. 150 feet was to far back, Clam air ended about 15 to 25 feet back. Then it becomes very turbulent. But perhaps at higher speeds the area extends some.

Just remember though... unless your the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.