Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i smacka curb in my 03 cobra car did some dmage to the right rear. snappend the spindle, bent a tie rod and abs is on now. where is the abs sensor it the rear. How do i change it. once its changed do i have to do anything else? thanks for any help

·
Registered
329 Posts
Here is what the Chilton manual says you have to do.

WARNING Do not allow the axle shaft flange to contact the press bed during sensor ring replacement.

NOTE Once the rear ABS sensor indicator ring is removed from the axle shaft, it cannot be reused. Also, the sensor ring must be pressed off of the axle shaft using a large hydraulic press.

1. Remove the rear axle shaft from the same side of the vehicle as the sensor ring needing to be removed.
  2. Position the axle shaft in a hydraulic press, as indicated in the accompanying illustration, then press the sensor ring off of the shaft.
  3. Discard the sensor ring.

Remove the rear axle shaft and position it in a hydraulic press with a bearing pulling attachment as shown
    Click to Enlarge
To install:
  1. Position Ford Sensing Ring Installer T89P-20202-A, or equivalent, on the press with the pilot ring facing up.
  2. Position the new sensor ring on the installer tool, as indicated in the accompanying illustration. Ensure that it is oriented correctly.
  3. Insert the inner end of the axle shaft through the sensor ring until it rests on the ring.
  4. Position a flat piece of steel on the axle shaft flange, as shown in the illustration.

To install the sensor ring on the axle shaft, first position an installer tool on the hydraulic press with its pilot ring facing up

Place the sensor ring on the installer tool in the orientation shown—the side of the sensor ring with a lip should face down

Insert the axle shaft through the sensor ring center hole until it rests on the sensor ring . . .

. . . then position a piece of metal stock on the axle shaft flange as shown

Use the hydraulic press to drive the axle shaft into the sensor ring to the proper depth of 0.002 in. (0.051mm)
  5. Press the axle shaft into the sensor ring to proper depth of 0.002 in. (0.051mm)
  6. Install the axle shaft.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts