Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted on here last night about my axle making whining noises. Today, I jacked it up and checked the differential fluid and it was right where it needs to be. 1/4" form the bottom of the fill hole.

I took the wheels off. I can grab the studs and yank on it and there's a little slop. Should this be?

Just drove it and the sound seems to be louder than yesterday. Get it up to 15mph and I can hear it more clearly now.

This axle has only about 60,000 on it. It's an 8.8" w 3/73s I got from new takeoff. I've had trouble with it ever since. Not blaming them. It's just the way this one has been.

I had the pinion flange seal changed about 3 months ago. I didn't think to disconnect the drive shaft and check to see if that bolt has come loose. Is that possible and if so, could it be causing this problem?

Your expert help in this matter is more appreciated than ever before. Really. I mean that. This has to be the worst problem I've ever had with this car.:kooky:

·
Registered
19 Posts
it sounds like your axle bearings need to be replaced. does it sound like you are in a small airplane? thats what mine sounded like. its kind of like a rubbing wa wa wa sound. i needed 1 axle bearing, but its a bit difficult to disasemble and reasemble so i replaced the diff. bearings and the axle bearings with the seals. you are already there might as well replace them all. they dont cost that much.

hope this helps

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am a believer of take it apart once and replace them all. In the long run it saves time and money. Don't forget, were talking about YOUR time and money.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like a ghostly howl or moan with just a slight whine to it. I don't know if that sounds like an airplane or not. I havn't been in a plane since I was 6.

I've been suspecting the bearing on the passenger side ever since I got that axle because of the vibration.

How long were you guys able to go on the bad bearing you had? A week or a month or???

Reason I'm asking is I want to get another new axle with a different gear ratio and then take my time rebuilding this one. I havn't done much with axles so I can learn from this and I need a little time to get enough extra money for another axle.:bounce2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
this is bad info but you have time, and the way you discribe it, yes thats it. just stay away from floody waters i started with like one bearing and then like 11 months ago before i quit raining it rained pretty hard where i live and on my way home, bam!!!! lots of water!!!!! and the next day alll my bearings where in sinc, omg!!!!!! when it rains it pours my car sounded like as if i was in a cessna i laugh about it now but at the time i was super mad and it all started with one wheel bearing but yes, itl last until you get tired of the sound. every bearing is different mine,,,,,,,,,,, 60 days. i did it all. best advise hurry up and do what you gotta do and leave it like new. like my dad always said. son do it right the first time or dont do it at all.

hope that helps

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have enough life left in it to take it somewhere if it comes down to that. Still want a new though but it's twice as much.

It's been parked in the garage all week and I'm driving my '94GT while it's still holding up. - But that's all for another forum.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
are you positive its from the rear? reason i`m asking is because i had a howling for a while that i swore was being transferred through my control arms, as it started just after i installed the upper and lowers.i thought i was loosing a axle bearing too. turns out it was actually my rt frt wheel bearings. they were toast, and i barely noticed any feel in the car, just noise that got really loud. but no serious vibration issues either, and it even handles ok too. if a rear axle bearing gets bad enough, it will eat up the seal and be loosing gear lube, then they get dry and often will seize up. bearings also break. of course theres always exceptions.

i`m like you though as i dont believe on coincidences for the most part, although ive had a few, and you noticed a problem from the start.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure it's from the rear. At first, I thought it might be from my tranny so I put my head down close to the shifter while driving (don't attempt this at home:nogrinner) and then stuck my head between the seats and listened in the back. Definately sounds stronger throught the back seat. My wife said she could hear it coming from the back wheel on her side too.

The sound of traffic, tire/road noise, and my exhaust can make this difficult to isolate.
I did have a mechanic drive it today and he confirmed too that it's the rear bearings. He's pretty sure it ain't the gears which sounds good to me I guess.

Now that you mention it, I think I might just jack up the front and give that an inspection too. It's past due anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
if you do dicide to replace your bearings, do yourself a geat big favor and replace them all from the rear end, its an ass whoopin to take it apart and put it back together, well thats what the mechanic told me for my diff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts