Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a rear black-out panel off ebay. It was advertised to be the same model that American Muscle sells. The glossy black one. It arrived and it's fit and finish is good but it's just smoked plastic and I can see through it. Problem is I have a white car and IMO it's not "blacked" out when on the car. Did I get ripped? Any one have this http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-rear-blackout-panel.html and if so was it just smoked plastic? Can you see through it or not? Please advise so I know if I should send it back or try and paint it.....Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
i guess id send in and get a different one. or you could buy some black out spray and spray the inside, or mayb some cheap flatt black spray paint, use abrasive to scratch the sirface, and coat it evenly and with thin coats from the inside so it still has a gloss look on the outside.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm with burnrubber, I'd just paint the inside black. I've done this with clear plexiglass to get the color I wanted for various projects in the past.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
+1 on boogers idea, Lexan gets the same results when painted.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Yeah dude, paint the backside of it.. My Taillight bezels were black but let light through when i had my lights on, so i pulled um off.. painted them black.. and then after drying i put them back on, now no light comes through.. i wouldnt sell it back

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Paint it is.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Depending on how much you paid for the panel would be the determining factor. I am a firm believer you should get what you paid for....keep those ebay seller honest.

Although, I must admit, the painting idea is a good one.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
i wanted the magnetic blackout panel for christmas but my friend bought me the one you just recieved and yea, its not black enough for me and lets light through.

So i sent it back and got the magnetic one which was $10 cheaper and 10 times better. Plus its magnetic so no sticky adhesive on my mustang :D

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
I just solved the issue by painting my rear panel to match my stripes....since I have a black car, a "blackout panel" did not seem to make much sense

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.