Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing both of my rear calipers, I got to thinking...

Why on Earth is it so difficult to get the clips on the top of the rear pads up through the window on the caliper, and position everything properly in the bracket? I replace brakes multiple times a week, and service them almost every day, and I have never had that much trouble getting pads in. Anyone have any tips, tricks, or advice?

If not, are their any pads and calipers that don't require positioning those clips, and are affordable? Of course theirs Baer, Brembo, Wilwood, Aerospace, etc... thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I've never had a problem with the top clips. I insert it from underneath, sliding the long end up through the hole. Then I slide it back over the piston to lock it in place.

The part that I do find a little tricky is when I'm installing the caliper. I have to push against the springs on the pads in order to line up the caliper bolts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but with both pads loaded in the caliper, at least the front pad wants to lean inwards towards the piston. And with new pads, no matter how far you depress that piston, its incredibly difficult to get everything over the rotor

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I've seen that too.

What's your take on shims? I've read that they are necessary, but on my last brake job I left them off after struggling to fit the pads. I suppose I could have filed the pad material down to make it work, but I didn't trust my ability to get them perfectly flat for perfect disc contact.

·
Registered
5 Posts
from my understanding, shims are for noise reduction more than anything. if you're having that difficult of a time with them, leave em off?

·
Registered
697 Posts
never had a real problem with the rear disc brakes on the mustangs. they just take differant procedures than gm or imports

1 - 6 of 6 Posts