Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like it says i have a 99 mustang v6 convertible...and i have an issue with my rear brakes so im throwing this out to see if anyone else ran into this...

First i only have one picture and the pads are only rubbing against the rotor on the outer edge.

I've replaced pad,rotors, slide pins, and calipers brackets last week and now i noticed the wear.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just like it says i have a 99 mustang v6 convertible...and i have an issue with my rear brakes so im throwing this out to see if anyone else ran into this...

First i only have one picture and the pads are only rubbing against the rotor on the outer edge.

I've replaced pad,rotors, slide pins, and calipers brackets last week and now i noticed the wear.
Is it on both rear brakes? If so, and if you still have the old parts, I'd match them up to be certain they're the same sizes. Something there is not right! Did you install new front's as well, or just the rear?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just the rear and yes all of the parts are the same...however i did noticed i didnt have this certain part im not sure if it makes a difference or not.
Its the part that goes between the caliper and the pads its the sliver part that sits inside the caliper.
Brake Disc Hardware Kit - Rear | 1999 Ford Mustang 6 Cylinders 4 3.8L SFI | AutoZone.com

I might go buy some and see if that makes a difference I dont see how it would since they were not on there before.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just the rear and yes all of the parts are the same...however i did noticed i didnt have this certain part im not sure if it makes a difference or not.
Its the part that goes between the caliper and the pads its the sliver part that sits inside the caliper.
Brake Disc Hardware Kit - Rear | 1999 Ford Mustang 6 Cylinders 4 3.8L SFI | AutoZone.com

I might go buy some and see if that makes a difference I dont see how it would since they were not on there before.
Well, those are retaining clips that hold the pads from moving around and rattling. While they have a purpose, they don't align the pads on the rotor, so probably wouldn't be the cause. It looks more like the wrong pads or calipers, but if you checked them against the old ones,,,, I don't know what it could be if it's the same on both sides.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill through some of those clips on soon but everything is the same pads, rotors, and i didnt replace the calipers i replaced the bracket were the slide pin are in.
Maybe those clips that hold the pad in place since there gone it allows the pad to move up while moving.

Its got me confused ive never seen something like it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ill through some of those clips on soon but everything is the same pads, rotors, and i didnt replace the calipers i replaced the bracket were the slide pin are in.
Maybe those clips that hold the pad in place since there gone it allows the pad to move up while moving.

Its got me confused ive never seen something like it.
The clips won't change the pad position from up or down (not by that much), so that isn't it! Can you see if the opposite side of the rotor has the same marking pattern? Maybe the bracket is not quite the same, but even if it wasn't though, seems the pad wear pattern is very narrow, compared to what it should be. It would appear to be more of a pad issue, expecially if the wear pattern is the same on reverse. Possibly the wrong ones (but you've checked against the old ones already), or defective???

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well one bracket is new the other i took off the car and clean and greased it for the slide pins. The pads look just like the ones i pulled off.
My pads i pulled off were slanted because of the slide pin one was locked up. They looked fine to me and there is a warrenty on them so i might just try to trade them in.
Could there be a reason that the pads surface was just slanted a bit when i got them and its just going to take time to wear even. there is about 100 miles on the pads now

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well one bracket is new the other i took off the car and clean and greased it for the slide pins. The pads look just like the ones i pulled off.
My pads i pulled off were slanted because of the slide pin one was locked up. They looked fine to me and there is a warrenty on them so i might just try to trade them in.
Could there be a reason that the pads surface was just slanted a bit when i got them and its just going to take time to wear even. there is about 100 miles on the pads now
The wear pattern showing on the rotor is way off! Even if they eventually wear down, they're ruining the rotors and not operating as they should. I'm no expert, but I've done over a couple of dozen brake jobs, and I've only seen that once before. Incorrect pads was the culprit on mine. Maybe yours are defective, it's possible! You mention the old ones being slanted? Hard to tell you much without seeing the actual parts, but are you sure that the caliper and braket slide properly? With the tire off, applying the brake, they should move back and forth freely, and then retract slightly so the wheel is free to move. I would check that first if you haven't already, then double check those pads! If the both sides (driver & passenger), are the same, you can rule out the new bracket and focus on the pads. You can see by the picture that only 20% of the rotors surface is in contact with the pads. Something wrong there for sure.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They were slanted because of one of the slide pins were locked up and yes i took it in my brakes class and everything moves correctly and nothing looks out of the normal maybe the pads are defective.
Ill see again if i can bring it in my class but the pads looked just a like and who knows maybe they are bad.
Any other ideas

·
Registered
56 Posts
They were slanted because of one of the slide pins were locked up and yes i took it in my brakes class and everything moves correctly and nothing looks out of the normal maybe the pads are defective.
Ill see again if i can bring it in my class but the pads looked just a like and who knows maybe they are bad.
Any other ideas
If you get a chance to take a picture of the caliper, maybe even the old pads, it'll really help in locating the problem. There are some real pro's on this site that could likely tell you the problem just by seeing a good picture or so. Confirm that both sides have the same wear pattern, and if it is on the opposite side of the rotor as well, or just the one side.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem fixed i got new pads and that clip and it seems to be wearing normal now. Thanks man for helping me out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Problem fixed i got new pads and that clip and it seems to be wearing normal now. Thanks man for helping me out.
Perfect, glad you fixed it! Did you visibly notice anything wrong with those pads you had on it? I was just reading another post that mentions the same problem, though it was noticed far later than with yours. The pads were for the wrong calipers (which were possibly changed by a previous owner). Good thing you kept an eye on it!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The pads just had 100 miles and I couldn't notice anything with the pads. So im not sure lol and Thanks.the pads did look like the new ones though im just glad i got it fixed.
Thanks man for your help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts