Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
The other day I notices my (I believe only rear) brakes are squealing and creaking .when coming to a stop. I am almost positive it isn't the suspension creaking, because when stopped on a flat road, when I bump the brakes it makes the creaking sound (no squealing), with ought the car moving.

The rotors look pretty rusty, could that be causing it? Or anything else I could try would be great.

- Zac

·
Registered
700 Posts
Time to check your brakes. Pop a rear wheel off and look at the pads. If they are thin, time to replace them. If you have a shop that turns rotors near you, have them turned down to clean them up.

If you don't want to bother, bring it to the brake shop for inspection and replacement if necessary.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
if your rear rotors are rusty on the flat part you can see thru the rim then your calipers are either locked up or at the end of their travel. are the insides rusty as well? does your parking brake work as intended. not sure how many clicks is normal for secure engagement (7-8 maybe). as stated above, I would pull the wheels off and inspect pads and calipers. special tool needed to turn and push pistons in on rear. you can rent at most auto parts places if needed. good luck.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If the rotor are rusty as others have said - it is probably calipers not engaging or your pads are worn out - or a combination of both. If the pads are worn down you could be hearing some steel on steel causing the screeching. In that case you will need new pads and maybe rotors. Have you bled the brake lines and calipers ever? The rear calipers in these cars require a special tool to get them to retract. My opinion about rotors is to get new ones rather than turning the old ones. When you turn them, some metal is removed making them thinner and less able to dissipate heat. Next time you use them hard, the rotors could heat up and warp and you'd end up replacing them anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts