Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the life of me I can't get my rear break lights to work. Switch is good....bulbs work but the break pedal just doesn't push hard enough on the switch to activate it. Bushings all look to be good too.

I have pushed down on the the switch with a screwdriver and the break lights will come on......Getting under the dash is no fun job. I can't count the amount of times I had to stop and count to umm 100, then continue.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Could it be possible that you have the wrong style push rod from the pedal to the master cylinder?

Look at the one in this picture:
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=A21161+01

Notice the flat area on the end where the switch goes. This actuates the switch. There are some styles that are simply round, like came on my 64 1/2 Mustang. I had to get the flat type when I converted my switch to use the 65 type.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine kinda looks like that.....It's a solid rod with no adjustments. Non power breaks. Is there an adjustment for the stock rod?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Mine kinda looks like that.....It's a solid rod with no adjustments. Non power breaks. Is there an adjustment for the stock rod?
The stock rod is a "fixed" length item.

It seems to me that if it has those flat corners, it should work...

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Check to see if you've got the switch that corresponds with your transmission type and if there is manual or power brakes. The brake lights should work when the correct switch is in place.

The switches may all look the same from the outside, but the internal parts, like the spring, may have a different tension rating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.