Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Heck, even if it was just for cosmetic purposes I'd give it a thumbs up. The rotors on the back are pretty pathetic looking. They'd look ok with 16-17" wheels.
Agreed! Expecially on the 19 inch rims...

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
There is no proportioning valve so not sure are you being facetious?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Baer makes system that floats the axle so that the hub is fixed this allows the use of a none floating four pot caliper. I made my own system that floats the Brembo mono block four pot caliper so it works fine. I also used the 14" Baer rotors.

That is an awesome set up!!!!! Im trying to do the same set up as well.. Where did you get the small e-brake caliper from? :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
There is no proportioning valve so not sure are you being facetious?
Don't think he's being facetious at all. In ancient times, when missing around with brakes of old, changing the size of the rear brake drums, changing to disk brakes, etc. required an adjustable proportioning valve to stop the rear brakes from locking up prematurely.

So in the computer age/anti-lock brake age, not sure what would repercussions would be.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Don't think he's being facetious at all. In ancient times, when missing around with brakes of old, changing the size of the rear brake drums, changing to disk brakes, etc. required an adjustable proportioning valve to stop the rear brakes from locking up prematurely.

So in the computer age/anti-lock brake age, not sure what would repercussions would be.
Not 100% but I think the new mustangs have Electronic Brakeforce Distribution which acts like a computer controlled proportioning valve.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
212 Posts
i wish there was an easy Brembo upgrade even just for looks on the rear!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
It might run a little cooler,but isnt most of it cosmetic if it uses the same caliper?

Not at all. If you use the same caliper on a larger rotor you have the same clamping force applied further out from center on a larger circumference so the stopping force is increased as is the cooling.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Not 100% but I think the new mustangs have Electronic Brakeforce Distribution which acts like a computer controlled proportioning valve.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Yes it is called ABS stands for Antilock Brake System.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
His set-up is custom and probably hard to duplicate if you don't have the engineering skills and the fabrication shop . . . but you can buy a kit to do the GT500 rear brake upgrade.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I really like my track Pack GT but honestly........this upgrade seems like a lot of effort and expense for what it would require. Limited extra stopping for maximum expense. Upgrades like this in any Mustang have to be easy enough and value based or it's not likely to be offered up in an easy to swap out package. There does come a point at which a few or even just one really expensive change from stock has to have you asking, "Is this worth it or am I just ready for a different car?"

The GT350 or a Corvette puts a ceiling on what it's worth to upgrade things on more pedestrian level Mustangs or Camaros driven on the street before you're probably going over-board. I could do this if it can be done for reasonable expense. Not sure it looks like that path exists here. I'd be really interested in hearing what 908ssop had to do to pull it off and how much it cost before saying this for sure.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
The GT500 rear brake upgrade is the simple and practical alternative. As I understand it, it is basically a bigger set of rotors and a bracket to move the calipers for the bigger rotors. The only minor complication is you have to remove the axles to mount the brackets.

This kit has the front and rear brakes but I'm pretty sure you can get the rears separately.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-racing-15in-svt-brake-upgrade-0514.html

·
Registered
364 Posts
very interested in this as well. love the looks of the front brakes now just to match the back.. i wish i could make a recommendation but im in the same boat
There is always the Wilwood solution.......it's a little pricy but if you want the "look" of a high end brake package on your pretty pedestrian priced pony car there is no getting away on this one that is both easy and cheap.......this might be the easiest way to go.

Wilwood Superlite Mustang Rear Brake Kit 140-9221-DR (05-14 All) - Free Shipping

21 - 38 of 38 Posts