Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a 1991 Mustang GT. By no means am I an idiot, I always do my own work on my cars. I have a 347 stroker with a Vortech S trim 42 lb injectors etc........ I ordered a set of upr products upper and lower control arms, and after dissassembling the inside of the car (to reinforce torque boxes) The passenger stock control arm came out easy, it says to do 1 side at a time so I am (yes I removed upper shock nuts from inside car to ensure drop of axle) The new control arms measure identically to the stock ones, but when I put the new arm in it seems as though something is bent. I did change the bushing to poly urethane since I am doing the job anyway. Anyone else with this same issue and what is the remedy? If I disconnect the quad shock would that make a difference? Any help would be apprecited.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
You need the rear end at a "free hang". This way you can move the rear end freely. With the quad shocks on, it makes things harder. So I remove them.

When I mess with the rear end like you are, I loosen everything up but leave the bolts in. The upper control arms are what center the rear end. So its possible the rear may have shifted just a little.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I was con templating taking the quad shocks off anyway, I had the car on dyno it made 496 RWHP, and 502 LB TRQ. Thats why I decided to add the torque box reinforcements and change the arms. It would have only been a matter of time before I lost it all, and would have had to backhalf the car. Thanks again for the reply

·
Registered
346 Posts
also.. when you take the quadshock out... do not put it back .. :)
as with the control arm, you will not need the quadshock anymore, your control arms will eliminate the wheelhop.. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You vey much for your assistance. I cant believe I can do anything to this car, and Im having a issue with something that should be so easy.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
in theory, its easy..but working on 20+ year old rusted worn out parts is a PITA..

my suspension fought me every step of the way...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.