Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 5.0 stolen a few months back and they stole the rear drum brakes.. I decided to go full disc all around, but I have no idea on what a mechanic usually charges on a job like this. I have been quoted from 450 to 280. I also don't have a trusty mechanic I can go to. Any suggestions on pricing and good mechanics in the San Francisco Bay Area to go too.

P.S I can do the job myself but just don't have the time.
thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry can't help to locate a mechanic but just have to comment to what happened to you. I have never before heard that someone had their drum brakes stolen! Usually something more valuable and easier to sell but guess these thieves really needed them. :D

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
TFU! Sorry for your lose. My disc conversion cost around this much w/ out labor. Loaded 91 Mark VII 73mm front calipers $85. Loaded rear 88 T bird calipers $135, Rear rotors $70, Northracecars conversion brackets w/ ebrake cables $220, Classic Tubing SS lines $160, Cobra or 94-95 Master cylinder and booster $225, Ford Racing (plug to gut distribution block) $20, Brake fluid $10, parts cleaner $5, rear diff gasket $5, gear oil $15. There are a few things that can be substituted to make this a little cheaper like no or half ss lines on front only, stock front calipers, a t block instead of the plug, use stock booster, no parts cleaner, etc. This can range from $500-$1400. I would say it takes about 6 hrs to do the swap. So anything under $500 would be good, but get it in writing first! This job has some fabing and minor machining, that they will run into unsuspectedly. Like your rear housing will most likely need to be filed for brackets. The e brake handle/mechanism has to be riveted together to work correctly. Calipers/rotors will need to be shimmed, and brakes will need to be bled.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I've heard of people getting their hood stolen... their intake stolen... their supercharger stolen... but I've NEVER heard of someone getting their drum brakes being stolen. Damn.
The price could get a little high since you're wanting to go to disc, that would mean the brake booster would have to be changed too, in addition to the disc setup.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Hey, I just did a disc brake swap I could help hook you up w/ all my newer old stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.