Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in short, want harder / faster acceleration / better traction. thinking about 4.10s for swap. was told i should also get traction lok rebuild kit

Ford Racing 8.8" Traction-LOK Rebuild Kit w/ Carbon Discs at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

unless i wanted to shell out money for locker because the stock friction plates suck. (wife wont like locker noise anyway)

should i upgrade with the traction lock kit? also, how streetable are the 4.10s? im not too concerned about mpg, unless it just completely goes to hell, more concerned with 75-80mph cruising rpms.

should i also get bearing and install kit? car only has 30k on it.

Rear End Installation and Bearing Kit (8.8in) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Do ou already have a TrackLock rear? If not, you cant use the rebuild kit :bigthumbsup

But the TrackLock is a big improvement over the standard posi differential.

And anytime you change gears you should use the install kits.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, i was obviously confused. the current 8.8 IS a posi. got it.

on another note what is the difference between a tracton lok and a detroit locker?

the current rear end is 31 spline axles correct?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I run 4:10's with the usual suspect bolt on mods. I totally enjoy the dramatically quicker torque curve...do it right and buy the kit with the install. You won't be sorry. Really didn't notice that much of a difference. I'm getting 22 on the hwy.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Traction lok is more of a limited slip axle, while a Detroit Locker is a locking axle. Detroit lockers may be a little noisy while turning corners on the street, since the locking is much more positive. They are also a lot stronger, and will take more HP.

FYI - The choice of Traction Lok vs. Detroit Locker in Mustangs has been around since the late 60's. From what I recall, Ford used Detroit Lockers with 4.30 ratio on the Super Drag Pack option with 428 Cobrajet Engines in 69-70.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have 4.10s and I love them. At 75-80mph your rpm wont be that high at all. The guys at Sutton HP told me not to waste my money on upgrading the rear until I started making a considerable amount of more power. They told me to get some LCAs if wheel hop was an issue but it's not.

I would suggest a professional install because the smallest miscalculation could cause gear moan or whine. And make sure to get FRPP gears!

As for fuel, I have 4.10s, jlt cai, and bama 93oct tunes and I average 23-25, 24-26, in O/D at 70, 65mph. And I've noticed my city driving MPG has gone up since the gears! Was around 13-14 before now at 15-18.

-Chris

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
4.10s with a good differential are like magic if you have good tires & suspension!

It is pretty common for a slower car to beat a faster car if the slower car hooks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts