Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping this problem sounds familiar enough to someone for an easy answer. About 3 weeks ago, I started hearing a very low small clicking type sound from the rear when I went to pull away from a stop, away from a parking space, etc. I didn't think much of it until the last day or so when it has got pretty damn bad. When I turn then car at low speeds or from a stop, the small clicking sound is now like a popping, grinding type sound.

My guess was that either the 3:73 gears where the issue or maybe the traction lok hub thing (not sure the exact nomenclature). I figured this because I know when you turn a corner at low speeds like that, the farthest wheel turns at a different rate as the inner turning wheel.

Anyone else had this problem? If I have to replace anything, which pieces you think? Of course, this is the worst time possible as funds just happen to be low at the moment.

Oh, and is it safe to drive around town for a week or so, or does it sound like a problem that I should fix immediately.

Thanks for any help guys.
Alex

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Well, many things can be wrong, i would definitely tell you not to use the car and take it to the shop ASAP.

I had a scary experience with a friend, we were doing around 90 in a 70s TransAm when suddenly the rear end LOCKED, we did several 360s before the car came to a full stop, we didnt hit anything, we ended up at the middle of the road.

Some piece that broke made it between the crown and pinion, and that was it...scary sh...t

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.