Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my 2 month old GT Auto in because it was making a rear end whine noise at 55 MPH and becoming louder. I got a call from the service department today telling me the differential gears were stripped and had to be rebuilt. I was initially relieved they found the cause of the whine but then became concerned how could this happen? The noise started at 1,100 miles and got worse. The service guy told me this happens from time to time!!?? I asked him how and he began to tell me it may have been "misaligned on the carrier" - that really made no sense.. He tells me it will be good as new when it's repaired - well I hope it's BETTER than new since "new" didn't last long. I've never heard of this repair and was hoping that some forum members might be able to provide some insight. Any thoughts appreciated..

·
Registered
181 Posts
this just might deter me from buying a t lok for my car

·
Registered
151 Posts
yep, got the same issue with mine, started around 1500 miles, and got worse till about 2000. Got 5K on it now (haven't had time to get to dealer) still making noise, but it's no worse. I also have Saleen S/C on car and am running 450 hp or so, but the noise was there before I put the S/C on. Problem I face is that I can only take it to the dealer I bought it from. (900 miles away), since I personally know the owner, and they are a SVT dealer. Otherwise, another dealer will probably just void my warranty. Just a note, usually what happens is the carrier bearing preload is not set correctly at the factory, after about 2000 miles or so, the rear end breaks in and the backlash between the ring and pinion gears is too much, causing the contact points to be out of alignment on the gears, causing noise. Hopefully your dealer can fix it. (It can be tricky to set up a rearend.)

lineman88 said:
Brought my 2 month old GT Auto in because it was making a rear end whine noise at 55 MPH and becoming louder. I got a call from the service department today telling me the differential gears were stripped and had to be rebuilt. I was initially relieved they found the cause of the whine but then became concerned how could this happen? The noise started at 1,100 miles and got worse. The service guy told me this happens from time to time!!?? I asked him how and he began to tell me it may have been "misaligned on the carrier" - that really made no sense.. He tells me it will be good as new when it's repaired - well I hope it's BETTER than new since "new" didn't last long. I've never heard of this repair and was hoping that some forum members might be able to provide some insight. Any thoughts appreciated..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts