Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy just blew his rearend out and he says that the gears he had in it were 4:10s i have a serious problem believing this considering he had more top end then me and i have 3:73s. His car would easily bury 150. Is this possible with 4:10 in a basically stock GT?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
One thing to remember, every car is different no matter what the gear ratio, Mike. SCT Tuner. :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still don't see how there could be that much difference lol.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
How is his off the line? Better than yours? If so, he probably has 4.10's. I don't see his being better than yours off the line if he's running stock gears, but able to hit 150. Just make sure I'm not on the freeway when he does that ok?? :D

Is his car comparable to yours? 5.0L Mustang too? Same year or close?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Mark the tire and driveshaft count the turns of the driveshaft to one full turn of the wheel. That will tell you for sure.

G

·
My buddy just blew his rearend out and he says that the gears he had in it were 4:10s i have a serious problem believing this considering he had more top end then me and i have 3:73s. His car would easily bury 150. Is this possible with 4:10 in a basically stock GT?
When well it ever stop another 150 MPH stock 5.0......

Somebody hand me my boots.....:kooky:

All I have to say.......

Attachments

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
why would you even want to bruy 150....???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We were just out on the road messing around a few night after he bought it. His car is a 01 GT with the 4.6. We raced and were very close. off the line it was even but he started to pull on top end.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
If he had 4.10 in an 01 he would have left you in the dust. But just to know for sure count the revolutions.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Have not raced a 150. Because I don't race. But I have driven one on several occasions. Seat of the pants alone I can tell my Stang would kill it.

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
If it's stock, then no. But there's more to top speed than just the gears. If he has enough power through the powerband, then it's entirely possible to hit 150 with 4:10 gears.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He has a dynod 280 something HP to the flywheel

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol alright thanks. I'm going to have to go to his house and count myself. I thought he was full of it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
There are some interesting studies about top speed. Depends on how much drag the body is producing in the wind and how much horse power is available. Ideally the gear choice would be one which allows the engine to hit is peak horse power output very near the requirements for the drag at that speed. Gear to high and you will hit the drag limit while you still have some untapped horse power. To low and your RPMs max out while you still have some unused ponies. The study I read on the stock 05-09 GT was that the 3.55 rear was the closest match getting the most speed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.