Ford Mustang Forum banner

Rear end gear ratio help?

1306 Views 15 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Cusp
My buddy just blew his rearend out and he says that the gears he had in it were 4:10s i have a serious problem believing this considering he had more top end then me and i have 3:73s. His car would easily bury 150. Is this possible with 4:10 in a basically stock GT?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
One thing to remember, every car is different no matter what the gear ratio, Mike. SCT Tuner. :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup
I still don't see how there could be that much difference lol.
G
It is very easy to believe he could bury 150 if he didn't correct the speedo for the 4.10s.
How is his off the line? Better than yours? If so, he probably has 4.10's. I don't see his being better than yours off the line if he's running stock gears, but able to hit 150. Just make sure I'm not on the freeway when he does that ok?? :D

Is his car comparable to yours? 5.0L Mustang too? Same year or close?
Mark the tire and driveshaft count the turns of the driveshaft to one full turn of the wheel. That will tell you for sure.
G
When well it ever stop another 150 MPH stock 5.0......

Somebody hand me my boots.....:kooky:

All I have to say.......
My buddy just blew his rearend out and he says that the gears he had in it were 4:10s i have a serious problem believing this considering he had more top end then me and i have 3:73s. His car would easily bury 150. Is this possible with 4:10 in a basically stock GT?

Attachments

why would you even want to bruy 150....???
We were just out on the road messing around a few night after he bought it. His car is a 01 GT with the 4.6. We raced and were very close. off the line it was even but he started to pull on top end.
If he had 4.10 in an 01 he would have left you in the dust. But just to know for sure count the revolutions.
Have not raced a 150. Because I don't race. But I have driven one on several occasions. Seat of the pants alone I can tell my Stang would kill it.
If it's stock, then no. But there's more to top speed than just the gears. If he has enough power through the powerband, then it's entirely possible to hit 150 with 4:10 gears.
He has a dynod 280 something HP to the flywheel
G
It would not see 150 with 4.10's going downhill & a stiff tailwind.......:rollgrin:
He has a dynod 280 something HP to the flywheel
lol alright thanks. I'm going to have to go to his house and count myself. I thought he was full of it.
There are some interesting studies about top speed. Depends on how much drag the body is producing in the wind and how much horse power is available. Ideally the gear choice would be one which allows the engine to hit is peak horse power output very near the requirements for the drag at that speed. Gear to high and you will hit the drag limit while you still have some untapped horse power. To low and your RPMs max out while you still have some unused ponies. The study I read on the stock 05-09 GT was that the 3.55 rear was the closest match getting the most speed.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.