Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok hear is my plan im gonna do rearend gears for this summer but next winter i plan on building a 347 with afr 195 heads and a kenne Bell supercharger not sure on witch cam would work best yet but just trying to get some ideas on a gear ratio you guys would think would work well with that setup and its a 5 speed

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
3.73 would be fine and if you doin a rebuild then you may consider upgrading to at least 31 spline axles and diff. Your future has a high hp potential.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
With a 347 and the future KB, you really might find the 3.55's to be better. Don't know the gearing in what trans you'll be using but getting up into the 500 rwhp range, you can find first gear pretty useless - depending on what your intentions are for the car.
Dave

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
A set of 3.90's or 4.10's, is a good all around gear set up no matter what your intensions. What you see in the avitar, has 4.56's with 33 splined axles in a currie 9" rear with a coil-over and 4 link set up. The car has a 5 speed with a dual disc clutch, it depends on the gearing in the tranny on how you set it up as to what would work well in the rear. Also all motor Dart Block, with all forged internals 680 RWHP and 720 RWTQ N/A. If you're going with forced induction, make sure the cam you choose is a blower cam it does make a difference, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I personally would stay away from 3.90s because to my knowledge the only company that makes them is Motive (and Pro 5.0, Motive makes those). I have a pair of Pro 5.0 3.73 in my car.... I'm not impressed with the noise they make.

3.73s should serve you fine unless you plan on doing a lot of track time

R

·
0 Posts
Based on your proposed setup......

gear selection should be based on the peak horsepower at what rpm.......

My advice would be have the car dyno'd with what you have in it now......

Then decide what gears will work based on the primary use of the car.......

A set of 3.90's or 4.10's, is a good all around gear set up no matter what your intensions.

If that is true why am i pulling the 3.73's & going with 3.55's......:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.