Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an aod trans. and an 8.8 rear end and 28" micky t sportsmans and was in need of what size gears to put in it for good pickup but still driveable on the street

·
Registered
579 Posts
4.10 with a 28" tire are equal to 3.73 gears. 3.73 gears on a AOD just does not have the snap of 4.10s. If you think your really going to keep 28" tires I would go 4.30s. If you can find local members that have a AOD with 3.73 and 4.10s you would notice the difference because it is huge.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Wow, that is a tall tire to run. If you have lots of power than yes. if not than get rid of the tires. if you like them than 4.30's or 4.56 is what I would get.

·
Registered
14 Posts
410's will work well for street and track on street tires, any lower of a gear you would probably not be happy with. 410's were the first thing I did to my AOD car, and it helped me keep up with the 5-speeds out there.

·
Registered
196 Posts
he is running a 28" tall tire. i run a 26x10.5x15 + 3.55's with my old 5spd was not enough. I am going AOD now and know I need 4.10's. I needed them before AOD. hence my 4.10/4.30 deal.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Unless you're going for the pro-street look a 28" tire is pretty tall on a street Mustang. A smaller set of tires in the 25-26" range would probably be cheaper and easier and accomplish the same thing as a low set of gears.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KK95GT said:
Unless you're going for the pro-street look a 28" tire is pretty tall on a street Mustang. A smaller set of tires in the 25-26" range would probably be cheaper and easier and accomplish the same thing as a low set of gears.
well i have a 67 with fi 5.0 in it and like the prostreet lokk thank yall for your input

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just meant tires would be a cheaper alternative....

RPM=(MPH x 336 x Rear Axle Ratio) divided by Tire Diameter

Plug some different numbers in this formula and it will help give you some "reference points" to start with.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nah I was just mentioning the tires because it's cheaper. I'm always looking for the cheapest solution to a problem......

Main thing to watch is your "cruising" RPM when you're all said and done. That'll make or break ya. I have approximately the same 25.7" diameter tires on my '66 and '95. With no OD trans in the '66 I settled on 3.25s. With the '95s .68 OD I have 3.55s, would have put in 3.73s if my first gear wasn't so low.

With no OD @ 65 MPH and 25.7" tires you're turning 3017 RPMs - gets old real quick on the highway.
With OD @ 65 MPH you're only turning 2051 RPMs. That's doable.......

·
Registered
37 Posts
With those tires I would go with 4.30's or even 4.56, my tires are I think right at 26" tall I have 4.30's with an aod and love them, granted I hit the rev limiter quick but when it hooks it's gone, with my tires I turn around 2400 rpm at 65 my car is a 67 coupe and if I stay out of it still get over 20MPG.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.