Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noticeable whine coming from the rear of my car and it comes and goes sometimes. It is a steady sound when driving so I know it's not in the transmission so I'm wondering if it might be a axle bearing or the gears. The faster I go the higher pitched it gets and it's a very gradual rise in pitch. Has anyone every experienced this or know what it might be?

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
Do you have the 3.73 rear gears by any chance?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But it might also be 4:10 it feels different then the 3:73 I had in my other 14

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The higher the ratio, the more likely you are to encounter some whine in an 8.8. Setup is much more finicky as the ratio gets wider. The way the factory assembles them with slap to torque can be a little hit or miss.

If it's not too terrible, you might be better served with louder exhaust because opening up the rear can cause more problems than it solves. Ford won't do much unless it's quite severe, even on a new car.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The higher the ratio, the more likely you are to encounter some whine in an 8.8. Setup is much more finicky as the ratio gets wider. The way the factory assembles them with slap to torque can be a little hit or miss.

If it's not too terrible, you might be better served with louder exhaust because opening up the rear can cause more problems than it solves. Ford won't do much unless it's quite severe, even on a new car.
thabks for the input! The exhaust definitely drowns it out, I can just hear it cruisng.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
But it might also be 4:10 it feels different then the 3:73 I had in my other 14
You should be able to tell from the codes on the door jamb sticker or the label on the differential.

3.73 is an available option from the factory and fairly common, I'm pretty sure 4.10 is not an option from the factory and not very common.

It's real risky to diagnose a sound from a description over the internet . . . . but it "sounds" like it might be the typical 3.73 gear whine. If it is still under warranty it is worth a shot to take it back to the dealer and see what they say. But usually they say they can't hear it, or it's "normal."

·
Registered
108 Posts
My 13 GT purchased used with around 12,000 miles had this issue. I thought it was normal for 3.73 gears until I had a good friend of mine go for a ride he is an ex Ford teck and without hesitation he says "you have a problem with your rearend!" I figured it was nothing personal since I just had a colonoscopy about a moth ago! :surprise: :smile: So I figured he ment my GT. Anyway he recommended a Ford dealership and specifically a teck that he knows who has rebuilt a few ring and pinions. I drove there he took a ride and said yup needs work. Two weeks later it was finished and now at 19,000 the car is real quiet. This was all covered under warranty and the reason it took two weeks was the 3.73 gears were on back order. I say get it checked out.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I will definitely take it in and have it looked at. I just hope they don't give me to much trouble with all the mods!

·
2,806 Posts
Well I will definitely take it in and have it looked at. I just hope they don't give me to much trouble with all the mods!
What all aftermarket mods and stock packages do you have. This will help others with similar chime in. Did you take a look at the tags to see what gears you have.

I have the Torsen helical differential with 3.73's stock in my Boss 302 and have found pages and pages of people explaining the sounds I hear. Both the whine and the shhhhhhhhhhh sound. I am told it is a common issue and requires a under warranty fix (Rebuild/replacement.)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't had a chance to look at the tag, I'll see if I can't look when I leave for work. The mods are: Boss Manifold, Jlt intake, Tune, O/R X, springs/shocks/struts, Barton Short Throw, staggered 20s, Roush Axle Back

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I just crawled under my car and the tag says its 3.73s.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I had the same whine in my track pack car. Got a whole new diff and new rear gears under warranty and the whine is mostly gone now. So much happier. It was loud enough to overpower my O/R H and Borla exhaust while cruising on the highway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts