Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can this 9inch rear end fit on my 1968 mustang that was originally an inline six and now has a 1991 5.0 with a t5 transmission? will the driveshaft fit as well???

"Vintage Ford 9" Rear End, 3:00 to 1, 5 lug. Roughly 54" wide... Came out of a 1961 Ford Galaxie with a 3-Speed Cruise O Matic Transmission (also available) anda a big block 390."

Heres the posting if you want to check it out:
Vintage Ford 9" Rear End 3:00.1, 5 Lug, 54"

·
Registered
378 Posts
Measured from the inside of one axle tube end flange, to the inside of the opposite axle tube end flange --(where the brake backing plates bolt to the ends of the housing, and NOT taken from the wheel-flange-to-wheel-flange distance, --where the back of the wheel would mate up to the face of the drum/disk).

1967-1970 Mustang 8 & 9-inch housing width is 54¼".

Have the Ad poster give you an inside measurement. My guess would be it is around 52 3/4 inside will be a little narrow but still could work for you with the right wheels.
Good Luck :scratchchin

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The spring perch width is 43" check that, too. New perches are available if they need to be relocated. The required axle width from axle flange to axle flange for the 68 is 59 1/4".

The Galaxie driveshaft is probably too long, but it can be shortened. If it's a type with a rubber vibration isolator built into it, I wouldn't use it. The rubber is probably rotted after so many years. The 6 cyl. shaft, too weak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys seriously im doing this project on my own with the help of a friend occasionally. i've just been researching and getting a better idea of rear ends that will be easier to do a swap.

i have found many 9 rear ends for a nice amount of money so i was wondering which one of these rear ends is the better by. considering my mustang rear drums but front brakes.

here are the choices:
COMPLETE FORD 9" REAR END AXLE ASSEMBLY. DRUM TO DRUM. 3.00 OPEN DIFFERENTIAL. 61" FROM DRUM TO DRUM. COMES WITH DISC BRAKE ROTORS AND CALIPERS WITH NO MOUNTING BRACKET. STOCK FORD STUFF.

USED, NOT REBUILT $225

Complete rear end 60" drum face to drumface 3.0 gears 28 spline axels, E brake cables $185.00
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pts/1177600288.html

9" rear from an 86 Lincoln LSC with disc brakes $350

I have up for sale, parts that came out my 1964 1/2 mustang D code V-8 . i have 5 lug diff. complete for $450

1968 lincoln versi that has a 9 inch rear end with disc brakes.

which one is an easier swap, like minor modifications??
oh also i have no driveshaft but i found one for $150 out of a 91 mustang.

Again thanks for the help!!! will post pics soon of current condition...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well since it was originally an inline 6 the rear end would not hold up very well. i also want to maybe not now but soon stroke the engine to push at least 350 to the wheels. also the rear ends i've listed come with disc brakes which is a big money save since u know it is expensive to change drums to discs..

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
He has a 7.5 now that is why he wants to swap it.The 64 one would be a little short but its a 8 inch.The granada/ versailles is 58 inch's it would fit but two problems your back wheels will look sunk in and the gear ratios they came with ain't great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts