Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what size rear end did the 1987 mustangs come with and the what was the gear ratio? by the way it is an automatic.

·
Registered
730 Posts
7.5 rear end and I think it's 3.73's but I'm not positive.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Correct unless been changed. Maurice

·
Registered
3,900 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i heard you can put 4.11 gear set in it to get a better acceleration. is this true?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Very small difference in those ratios. Not worth the time and money?:nono::nono:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'll add that what you gain on the bottom, you'll lose on the top. Yes, it'll accelerate a bit better, but it'll cruise at higher rpms on the highway.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Yes maybe on Ranger's I don't know. The rearend gears will work but Not the entire rearend. Ranger had leaf springs ours don't. Entire rearend will not mount. Maurice

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
And the Ranger axle is asymmetrical. One side is longer than the other. The Fox rear end is equal from side to side.
One of the reasons the Ranger was available with a 4.10 ratio was the taller tires. It helped get back some pep off the line.

R

·
0 Posts
Another option is swapping in an 8.8" out of a 5.0LX or GT. Those will already have a T-Lok and the there are a lot of options for rear gears compared to the 7.5".

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 7.5" rear in the 87-93 4-bangers had 3.45 gears.

Yes thats a 7.5 gear only. The 8.8 does not offer a 3.45 Only one close is the 3.55 on the 8.8

1 - 14 of 14 Posts