Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year would anyone suggest to use for a rear end??? A buddy of mine recently invested in a junk yard thats full of Mustangs basically every year and model. So my question is....if you own a V6 1996 mustang like myself (auto) what year Gt or Cobra rear end would you use??? I'm a noob and i'm learning as i go but is there any big difference in the rear ends to begin with i know that the V6's dont have t-lok but whats the differece in the rear ends in a Cobra or Gt from 79-93, 94-98 and 99-04??? thanks in advance im just really curious but i definatly want to go with a 8.8 rear end i just dont kno wat year to use :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
i would say stick with 94-98, you can use other years but 94-98 is going to be the easiest swap

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
the earlier rear ends will bolt right up as well. I have a fox body rear in my car. They are just a tad shorter. The 99-04 rears are a tad longer and will also bolt up. However the 99-04 rear ends bolt holes are a lil bigger. So it might cause some noises.
So like posted just stay with the 94-98!!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The 79-93 are 4 lug unless you swap out axles. The 99-04 are slightly longer so they will give it a slightly different appearance. I would just stick with the 94-98 like stated so it is a straight forward swap with no complications. The GT and Cobra from 94-98 both use solid axles so it really will not matter much which you choose.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What year would anyone suggest to use for a rear end??? A buddy of mine recently invested in a junk yard thats full of Mustangs basically every year and model. So my question is....if you own a V6 1996 mustang like myself (auto) what year Gt or Cobra rear end would you use??? I'm a noob and i'm learning as i go but is there any big difference in the rear ends to begin with i know that the V6's dont have t-lok but whats the differece in the rear ends in a Cobra or Gt from 79-93, 94-98 and 99-04??? thanks in advance im just really curious but i definatly want to go with a 8.8 rear end i just dont kno wat year to use :)
get a cobra IRS take-off :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
There is no need to go to an 8.8 unless you are planning on big power. The 7.5 is fine for most applications.......

A t-lock and gears are your best bet. Going from the stock 2:73's to 3:73's and a t-lock is a big step. It will wake up your car.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is no need to go to an 8.8 unless you are planning on big power. The 7.5 is fine for most applications.......

A t-lock and gears are your best bet. Going from the stock 2:73's to 3:73's and a t-lock is a big step. It will wake up your car.....
:scratchchin soo... are U saying (theorical) if I get a turbo kit for my sixer... it's recommended swap the 7.5 to a 8.8 with 3.73??? or just the 3.73 with a T-lock on the 7.5???
:so

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
:scratchchin soo... are U saying (theorical) if I get a turbo kit for my sixer... it's recommended swap the 7.5 to a 8.8 with 3.73??? or just the 3.73 with a T-lock on the 7.5???
:so
If you go with forced induction, you should upgrade your rear end to an 8.8. Not necessarily 3:73's. Gearing would depend on your application......

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you go with forced induction, you should upgrade your rear end to an 8.8. Not necessarily 3:73's. Gearing would depend on your application......
thanks man :gringreen... it's good to know that :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds good but is there any difference in the Gt's Rearend then the Cobras (94-98)??? Or no??? im planning on twin turbo later in the future:bigthumbsup so ya i do need to upgrade the rear from a 7.5 to a 8.8 thanks alot for all the help guys:hihi:

·
Registered
794 Posts
i dont beleave there is any difference

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.