Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thought 99-04 GT's had ford's version of positrack but i noticed my driver side rear wheel wearing a little faster than the passenger side so i backed up on the grass turned trac control off and floored it.....the grass is only burnt up where the driver side wheel was???? is this normal or is something messed up? :help:

·
Registered
342 Posts
ItsaV6iswear! said:
i thought 99-04 GT's had ford's version of positrack but i noticed my driver side rear wheel wearing a little faster than the passenger side so i backed up on the grass turned trac control off and floored it.....the grass is only burnt up where the driver side wheel was???? is this normal or is something messed up? :help:
The clutches in your differential are worn out.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing only the passenger side was the only one spinning. After about 5 hard burnouts at the track, both kicked in and I shaved 2 tenths off my time. It has been working ever since, but I'm getting the rebuild kit installed along with my 4.10's on Saturday, just in case.:winks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is this expensive to fix? and is it something i can do in my driveway or do i need a real mechanic to do it?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i call speedsouth and ask them for advice and the guy said i should try it on concrete before i go replacing anything because slick surfaces like wet grass it will act weird....well i try it on concrete and low n behold 2 black streaks :kooky: :eyebulge: :jester:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but now my biggest question is wtf will happen when i go through the wet box:?:

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
ItsaV6iswear! said:
but now my biggest question is wtf will happen when i go through the wet box:?:
If you can, don't go in the wet box. Unless you've got a line lock and some slicks, its really hard to get all the water off the tires. The wet box can actually hurt your launch.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have nitto 555's they don't do worth a **** unless warmed

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
the traction loks are pretty easy to replace, because it doesnt really involve shimming or torque specs. just be careful as to the pattern of steel and clutch plates and put the new ones in the same pattern.
oh yea next time you have your car in the air or on jackstands with the rear wheels off the ground, see how hard it is to turn the wheels in the opposite direction. have a friend at the other wheel and try turning the wheels in opposite directions. if it is realitively easy to go seperate ways then the traction lok is worn. if it takes some effort to break the "traction lok" then you are alright.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
ItsaV6iswear! said:
i have nitto 555's they don't do worth a **** unless warmed
1. Buy a line lock

2. Buy a Detroit True Trac or Detroit Locker.

·
Registered
342 Posts
lxarlo said:
just be careful as to the pattern of steel and clutch plates and put the new ones in the same pattern.

Actually the way to do it is use a couple of your stock clutches and add them in with the new.

The factory pattern from the outside in is C P P C P P C you want C P C P C P C. That gives you twice as much contact on the clutches.

Also put an S spring from a F150 in when its rebuilt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.