Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not planning on getting a supercharger or turbo or anything like that, so would upgrading the rear end to 8.8" still be cost effective compared to upgrading the 7.5 to 3.37 or 4.10 gears and should i also get a tloc with that?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Im not planning on getting a supercharger or turbo or anything like that, so would upgrading the rear end to 8.8" still be cost effective compared to upgrading the 7.5 to 3.37 or 4.10 gears and should i also get a tloc with that?
If you're going to add gears and a T-lok to your 7.5" you're looking at $800-$900 P&L. For a couple hundred more you can upgrade to the 8.8.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but is it neccesary, labor im doing myself with a couple of buddys that are mechanics at the hobby shop down the road, also do you know a place that sells this stuff for cheap, maybe a military discount . . ;-)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Even if you are planning on getting a supercharger, upgrading to the 8.8" isn't really necessary. There are plenty of guys running the 7.5" rear end at 400+ rwhp and a supercharger will probably get you somewhere around 300 depending on what you're looking at.

Yes, the 8.8" will handle more but its not absolutely necessary especially if you're not going with a power adder (super, turbo, NOS)

If you're planning on doing the install yourself however, I recommend going with the take-off rear end rather than trying to install your own gears. Gear jobs are something that really requires professional skill.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have a stock 8.8 rearend from my 06 GT manual, laying on my garage floor, from when I put in the 9 inch. Think it had about 4000 miles on it when I did the switch. I live in Houma, about 50 miles away. Yours for $150...come get it

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a stock 8.8 rearend from my 06 GT manual, laying on my garage floor, from when I put in the 9 inch. Think it had about 4000 miles on it when I did the switch. I live in Houma, about 50 miles away. Yours for $150...come get it
Damn! What a price! You're a lucky man! I'm looking to spend a grand on a 4.10 GT take-off w/ T-Lok, abs, traction control :(

Here's some ref. numbers for the original poster:
'05-'06
Auto: 3.31
Stick: 3.55

'07
Auto: 3.31
Stick: 3.31
Optional: 3.55

Also, I'd look into an aluminum driveshaft. I'm not real pleased with the stock on in the V6...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
these two own the shop, they are proffessionals, they just happened to also be my buddys . . so its not really a DIY . . what else would i need to continue my rear end swap if i buy the one at hand

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and what are all the parts i need to upgrade to 4.10 gears in this rear end ? . . and the parts to fit my v6 of course

·
Registered
125 Posts
and what are all the parts i need to upgrade to 4.10 gears in this rear end ? . . and the parts to fit my v6 of course
u need the 4.10 ring and pinion set, the t-lok, and the bearing kit.
ya and i'm gonna hafta back up what charlie morman said bout the new drive shaft. mine started vibrating like crazy after the gear change. u will need a tuner if u don't have one to correct the speedometer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so this may be a buy and store until i can afford the tuner and CAI too huh . . how much does the rear end weigh . . cuz i have three flights of stairs to my room

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Get a buddy and make sure you have enough time to take a break in between each flight and you'll be able to do it.

Oh wait.. You're a marine!

In that case just put one side of the rear end in your mouth like a cigar and walk up the stairs like normal. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rah oorah, just gimme my spinache . . but back on topic . . so just buy the 7.5 gears of go with the 8.8 and buy its gears, and what brand do you suggest, bc ive read that certain brands whine or whatever

·
Registered
422 Posts
rah oorah, just gimme my spinache . . but back on topic . . so just buy the 7.5 gears of go with the 8.8 and buy its gears, and what brand do you suggest, bc ive read that certain brands whine or whatever

Wait so what is wrong with the guy who offered his rear end to you?

No, no, let me rephrase or else Gary Paul will have a field day on the above sentence. I'll leave it in just for you guys to see what a [email protected] I am sometimes...haha.

Take two: What is wrong with the offered GT rear end that forensicsteve offered you? It'll remove the chance of improper gear installation (even if your friends ARE pro's, there is still always a chance...), and save your friends on some labor. Also a helluva price...

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Honestly, if forensicsteve was anywhere near me, i'd take the 8.8 for $150. Even if you add the pinion flange (~$30) for the v6 and the price to step the gears up from the 3.55 thats already in there ($400-500) you're still looking at cheaper than installing new gears/tloc in your stock rear. You'll also have that lusty bigger rear end that everyone is always obsessing over.

Don't get me wrong, if swapping in an 8.8" rear was the same price as getting gear/loc on my 7.5" i'd go for the 8.8. The thing is that the 8.8" is going to cost $300+ more and that money could be spent elsewhere on the car.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Just took these pics couple of minutes ago. I don't know anything about car mechanics, so other posters can see what is included and guide you better idea as to whether this will work for you. Looks like the drive shaft (???) laying next to the rearend.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
noo . . there isnt anything wrong with that offer im just looking at my options, i want a 4.10 rear end, 3.55 is whats in the 8.8 right now, if a 7.5 rear end will be fine im just looking at cost effectiveness 8.8 with 4.10 or keep the 7.5 and get 4.10 thats all

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
does any one have a pdf of how to install gears in it so i can get an idea of just how hard this is going to be, if its really difficult and beyond the hobby shops scope i'll take it to someone else, and it looks like in the pics that were posted that u have the old exhaust too, i wonder if i could get any use out of that, u willing to throw that in? . .

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, so its an enormous pain in the rear, no pun intended, looks like the 4 hours every 4 days i have to work on it wont exactly cut it to be honest, so ill take it to someone else, spare myself the headache.

but my question has yet to be answered, 7.5 rear end with 4.10 gears or the 8.8 with 4.10 gears, which will overall be cheaper for me . .

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.