Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I gave up building my motor up and will be building a stroker in a few weeks or months outta the car. Well I have been starting from the ground up replacing bushings, springs, shocks etc... It is going to be a second street car not really a drag car with at least 350 hp to the wheels and need advice now with the rear end. When is it a good time to upgrade the axles or add a girdle? My rear end whines and howls a bit and I am sure it is in need of a rebuild at least the bearings. Are all girdles the same?

R

·
0 Posts
So I gave up building my motor up and will be building a stroker in a few weeks or months outta the car. Well I have been starting from the ground up replacing bushings, springs, shocks etc... It is going to be a second street car not really a drag car with at least 350 hp to the wheels and need advice now with the rear end. When is it a good time to upgrade the axles or add a girdle? My rear end whines and howls a bit and I am sure it is in need of a rebuild at least the bearings. Are all girdles the same?

based on your described use of the car an axle replacement IMO really is not a requirement.....

just a basic refurbish & rebuild of the t-loc is all you need

with regard to girdles they are all about the same.......

but if you have any plans of racing the car at all a 31 spline setup would be the way to go......

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the input. I like to TRY to do things right the first time around. I don't want to be pulling apart the rear end all the time with all that stinky diff fluid.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i saw in the mustangs unlimited catalog that they have a fully built 8.8 rear end with 3.73 gears with everything minus axles for 700 bucks. includes all the correct brackets and hardware and your choice of 28 or 31 spline.

sending it to a shop to have it rebuilt would be close to the same amount. maybe like 300-400 in labor and you buying the rebuild kit, shims, bearings, clutches axles and new gears if needed etc.

just a thought, saves you some time, just slip the new axles in, bolt on your brakes and fill her up!

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting dilema but then I got upgrade to 5 lug and get the disk brakes in the back. Then gotta sell my welds and get new 5 lug rims. Mo' money mo' money mo' money. :happyhapp

R

·
0 Posts
Interesting dilema but then I got upgrade to 5 lug and get the disk brakes in the back. Then gotta sell my welds and get new 5 lug rims. Mo' money mo' money mo' money. :happyhapp

For every action there is a reaction.....:shiny:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.