Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm in the process of building a 77 cobra, but I need a new rear end. I'm looking for one that I could find somewhat easily (local junk yard or something) that would be an exact or close match to the original in length. I am not opposed to using a rear end from another Ford vehicle, I just don't have the knowledge of which vehicles could be used as a donor.
Many Thanks in advance
Have a great day

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hmmmm.. good question. I'd personally go with an afternarket 9".. interestingly, 60's/70s Dodge Dart's (sedans/2dr hardtops) use 55" width rearends. :grin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Versailles or another Granada variant.
Their a little wider which the rear stance of a II needs.
Gets an axle that has a normal brake mount flange and not the odd II / Pinto pattern so you can do brake parts 'mix and match'.
You also get to ditch the tapered axle tubes.
Also, 5 lug and opens up a world of possibility for rim tire combinations.
I had 205/70 14 tires on stock steel rims without an issue.
One car has 195 (or 205) 70 (or 78) x 15 on factory turbine wheels from a mid 80's Lincoln on a '77 Versailles 9 inch. Tight, real tight. Too tight.
Thing is, perches are ~ 3/4 inches wider than a II which will push the shackles out ~ 1 1/2 inches. People have 'brute forced' these rears into their cars without knowing it. The perches should be moved.
It's a 2 7/8 inch axle so the perches need removed in such a fashion they can be reused.
Now is the time to figure out if you want to retain the rubber spring mounts and perch or go solid. Making the perches solid is a PITA but I quit breaking springs.
Oh, yeah, springs. If/when taking the axle out / undoing the U-Bolts count on the springs being broken. The dinky tapered axle tubes and perches that are little better than sheet metal (least to me, I bent mine like a banana) with the water retaining rubber wrapping the springs .... count on broken springs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh yeah,
Also had a First Generation Bronco 9 inch.
Almost the same width wheel flange to flange as a II , 3 inch tubes so perches are available, normal brake flange pattern, BUT a 5 or 5 1/2 inch lug pattern with large center hub.
Stuck running a ford truck bolt pattern rim, or having the hub turned and lug holes redrilled, or aftermarket axles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts